Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic rear diff and tranny fluids for the G8.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Synthetic rear diff and tranny fluids for the G8.

The G8 is my first "American" car in a while.. I usually change my rear diff and tranny fluids at the same times to a synthetic.

Anyone know what is acceptable to use in our cars?

Thanks.
    2008 MGM G8 GT
    20% tint
    Hard Wired V1 Radar Detector
    2 Image Dynamic IDQV2D2 run off JL Audio 500/1

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with my Tech today on this very subject. He suggested staying with the GM transmission fluid but going with synthetic in the differential (probably RP) the V6 has 2 trans filters, the pan and a solenoid filter. Don't know about the V8s.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

General Motors DEXRONŽ-VI Global Service-Fill Specification

During early 2005 General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Since the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRONŽ-III service-fill fluids available at the time it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRONŽ service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRONŽ-VI.
    Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949 it has been periodically necessary to upgrade the specification. This upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory fill fluid performance. It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRONŽ-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRONŽ-VI fluid, i.e. DEXRONŽ-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRONŽ-VI ATF. DEXRONŽ-III fluids should not be used for these applications where the owners manual recommends the use of DEXRONŽ-VI. GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.
    All DEXRONŽ-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRONŽ-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRONŽ-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRONŽ-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.
    The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.
    There is a published list of GM-approved brands of DEXRONŽ-VI (see page two of this release). This list represents the companies who have conducted the appropriate testing and received GM approval. Company name, license number, and brand name are shown. This list will be updated on a regular basis as more approved products are added.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

What Ray said! VI is the BOMB! No need to replace for a while unless you're racing it ALL THE TIME.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say that, I copied GM's document. LOL
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

So the DEXRON VI is a must in the tranny. Good to know.

Can i put Redline or Amsoil in the rear diff?
    2008 MGM G8 GT
    20% tint
    Hard Wired V1 Radar Detector
    2 Image Dynamic IDQV2D2 run off JL Audio 500/1

Post Thanks / Like

I asked questions about this too. Found some good info from others smarter on the subject. Basically requires a specific blend of "carbon friction modifier" added to differential fluid. Since the required percentage must be very close to the stock GM fluid....best to just buy the GM part #. Can find it a number of places a little cheaper than dealership, still with the GM logo on the bottle.

Check out one of this site/forum sponsors authorized to advertise here.

Great experience with Greg from Pace Performance.....good price on the differential fluid you need.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Post Thanks / Like

Dexron VI is a synthetic specification anyway, and so is the stock GM LSD fluid too. There's absolutely no reason to use any other rear diff fluid, and as Kestrel mentioned, I would be worried about the friction modifyers any other fluid had anyway. Who knows if it's the right kind, or the right amount.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When the time comes I am goign to put Royal Purple in the Tranny and Rear End. I have it in the engine and so far so gooooood.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Is Amsoil on the favored list for synthetic trans fluid? EAST COAST SUPERCHARGING in Cream ridge NJ has a trans fluid exchange and uses Amsoil trans fluid for 129 bucks. I wanted to do this.
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000