PDA

View Full Version : Triple analog gauges

Panzer Leader
07-31-2009, 04:17 AM
It seems that a certain company no longer handles the triple analog gauges. These were the ones that installed where the Atari gauges were in the dash. Does anyone know where one could still find these gauges. If not, then only alternatives woulde be the new Atari or the triple gauge pack the mounts on top of the dash. I have looked at Crazy Paul's site but alas no luck. Anyone have any ideas. BTW were those triple gauges a Holden factory part?

Crazy Paul
07-31-2009, 05:33 AM
The only Holden or HSV factory triple gauges I know about are:

2009+ Holden VE Sports models.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/R1010737.jpg

HSV VE

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/R1010489.jpg

richm52
07-31-2009, 05:51 AM
I think the OP is talking about the JHP gauges that were going for about $700.

I too wish there was another option as I'm not a fan of the Atari gauges.

GXPaycheck
07-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Did ya call JHP to see if they have any left?

Panzer Leader
07-31-2009, 09:35 AM
JHP no longer handles these guages. They were almost a perfect match for the others. The pod gauges are the next best for my tastes. Questions are technical. 1.) Are they plug n play? 2. Do they dim using the same control as the speedometer and tach? 3. Do you have to install a new oil sending unit? 4.) Color choices of both dial and illumunation and 5. What happens to the center speaker?
Thanks.

angus60
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
2009 msm gt. stock. my "atari" gauges don't work. guess i need to return to dealer. best car i've ever owned

BlueJacket
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
2009 msm gt. stock. my "atari" gauges don't work. guess i need to return to dealer. best car i've ever owned

2009's have no atari gauges, just an empty hole.

grandmacpubah
07-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Im thinking he was being facetious...I hope :facepalm:

Dr. Dana Miller
07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
JHP no longer handles these guages. They were almost a perfect match for the others. The pod gauges are the next best for my tastes. Questions are technical. 1.) Are they plug n play? 2. Do they dim using the same control as the speedometer and tach? 3. Do you have to install a new oil sending unit? 4.) Color choices of both dial and illumunation and 5. What happens to the center speaker?
Thanks.

I have the triple pod gauges I believe you are referring to. If you use the gauges that came with the kit ( white face gauges ), it is almost a plug and play. Yes the illumination does dim with the tach/speedo, yes you must install a new sending unit for the oil pressure gauge, no choice of color for illumination or face of gauges, the center speaker is not effected and remains functional. I replaced the gauges with Autometer Sportcomp gauges because they matched the speedo/tach faces almost exactly and had the same color needles. Had to wire the gauges indivually though and still had to install a new oil pressure sending unit. These triple gauge/binnacle kits are getting very hard to come by now. I believe there are archived pic's of this installation on this forum site.

Panzer Leader
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Doc for the info will PM you later on where you got the gauges and the sending unit. Need for Crazy Paul to chime in on what is still available. Can you post any pics of your unit? I thought at one time the triple pod gauges could be ordered in either white or black face dials. Yes I would like them to match up with the other gauges. Major concern is on the install. I have the same dealer who installed the Pedders will install the gauges. Thanks again.

jimmytt6
07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
How come JHP no longer does these gauges? A few weeks ago I email them and they said there were working on a kit. Here is a pic of a someone who did the red gauges which looks awesome and would love to have....

J Wikoff
07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
The HSV triple pod, like pictured above, does not need an oil pressure sender.

Panzer Leader
08-01-2009, 06:36 AM
The HSV triple pod, like pictured above, does not need an oil pressure sender.

Is it a plug n play similiar to the Atari? I like these but JHP is NOT stocking them or the other type triple analog gauges. They ONLY have the double hump or the new three display Atari. Don't understand what is going on other than either demand is not there or they are having problems. I really like the triple gauge kit that fitted right into the space for the Atari.

jimmytt6
08-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Yes I was ready to get the red gauges like in the picture I posted and JHP quoted me at about 1100 for whole kit :huh: sorry that's a little much for a 3 gauges and some plastic..
Probably not a whole people out there going to spend that on some gauges.
$600 I would do..

J Wikoff
08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Is it a plug n play similiar to the Atari? I like these but JHP is NOT stocking them or the other type triple analog gauges. They ONLY have the double hump or the new three display Atari. Don't understand what is going on other than either demand is not there or they are having problems. I really like the triple gauge kit that fitted right into the space for the Atari.

There are 5 wires that need to be spliced into the car's wiring and one ground wire.

J Wikoff
08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
The pod like pictured above, with its original gauges, does not need an oil pressure sender.

merlyn
08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Haddah still shows them

Crazy Paul
08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
If you manage to procure one of the VE HSV triple pods complete with 3 original VDO CAN Cockpit gauges, Siemens VDO CAN Cockpit Blackbox & all original Wiring harnesses like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/R1010489.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/R1010494.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/R1010496.jpg

Then you simply need to find a male rectangular plug with half a dozen wire splices on it to adapt back to your cars harness. There is a Toyota radio plug available which suits this purpose.
The G8 does not have the large rectangular male plug included on its stock harness from the factory.
Once you connect the wiring then the HSV CAN gauges (volts, oil temp & oil pressure) as well as illumination will work with the CAN system already used by the car.
*** No need to add sensors to the engine when using the complete HSV pod with VDO CAN gauges and all associated VDO CAN hardware.

Crazy Paul
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
If you procure one of the 2009.5 GM triple digital gauge sets ("hacked Atari") complete with additional included harness like this :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/3gauges1-h.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/gauges/3gauges-h.jpg

Then it's a simple matter of plugging the equipment in.
*** No need for additional sensors to be added to the engine.

Panzer Leader
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Haddah still shows them

WTF, I checked out their site. Sure enough shows the triple gauges and new oil sending unit. I sent email to see if the red needle gauges were available. Have no idea who makes these gauges. I had checked with my dealership about 2 months ago on installing these. I was qouted $300.00. The most cost effective way is the Atari. Parts cost less and the installation will be less.

Has anyone installed the triple gauges that go directly where the Atari gauges sit? Any problems? Accuracy?

Crazy Paul
08-02-2009, 05:03 PM
The HSV complete pod (with the original genuine white faced CAN gauges) requires a male electrical plug......thats it. No sender unit required under the hood.

Triple Atari from GM.....nothing required under the hood.

Panzer Leader
08-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks Paul. But what about the availability of the HSV? Hell I am getting a freaking headache. Will PM you on other questions.

J Wikoff
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
That was just a question. I'd keep white faces if I were to get new ones. The red HSV lighting exactly matches the main dash needles and the radio lighting that the pod sits directly above. It flows perfect. There are also versions of the HSV gauges with white backlighting and red needles.

They are hard to get, though. They get snapped up pretty quick because they are hotly desired by many.

The Toyota plug isn't a requirement. You could cut off the connector and hardwire them in, or do like I did and find a different 6 pin connector set and wire that in.

Panzer Leader
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
The HSV complete pod (with the original genuine white faced CAN gauges) requires a male electrical plug......thats it. No sender unit required under the hood.

Triple Atari from GM.....nothing required under the hood.

Are the HSV available anywhere??? From what I am getting the answer is NO. Therefore, the only alternatives might be the redesigned Ataris OR the Haddack analog gauges. Around and around it goes.

Crazy Paul
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Genuine HSV gauges on ebay.com.au

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-HSV-VE-BINNACLE-GAUGES-R8-GTS-MALOO_W0QQitemZ320397240475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_C ar_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9929e89b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

+ splice in 6 wires or get a male plug

+ about $300 worth of trim parts required to sit the HSV gauges on top of.

J Wikoff
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Since I've already got a set, I haven't been looking. But I've only seen a couple sets pop up recently. I think you can get an empty pod fairly easy from Crazy Paul, though, along with the other trim you'd need.

I bought the complete HSV pod/gauge set on eBay, and Paul set me up with the rest of the trim. All together, I spent less than anyone is charging for a pod/gauge set, excluding the hacked Atari gauges.

^^^I spent a lot less than that.

Panzer Leader
08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I checked out the site. Cost is 850 AU don't know what that is in this Yank Greenbacks stuff we use.

GXPaycheck
08-03-2009, 04:27 AM
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

$704.41 US

Panzer Leader
08-03-2009, 05:34 AM
So lets see $700.00 (US) for the triple gauge unit, another $300.00 for trim pieces = $1,000.00 (US) any other parts needed? plus whatever the dealer charges for installation ($300.00)= $1300.00. Damn this is starting to sound like a US defense contract for a coffee pot.

Cost wise the Atari gauges win

J Wikoff
08-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Apperantly that seller hasn't learned from the last guy selling the pods. He tried raising the price above 600 AU or so and no one bid.

Crazy Paul
08-03-2009, 06:53 AM
A new complete HSV pod sat here in our GRRRR8 For Sale section for a month at US$325 and nobody showed much interest.

The complete HSV pods seem to sell OK on ebay.com.au at around AUD$750 (US$620).

richm52
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm following this threat with a great deal of interest.

So Bluejacket you're saying that the front of the JHP gauges is printed on ink jet paper? If so, that is pretty sad and would agree that they will fade in time.

I just wish there was a cost effective set of analog gauges available.

BlueJacket
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm following this threat with a great deal of interest.

So Bluejacket you're saying that the front of the JHP gauges is printed on ink jet paper? If so, that is pretty sad and would agree that they will fade in time.

I just wish there was a cost effective set of analog gauges available.

Yes and G8-SSV just said the same.

-Ray-
08-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Thread cleaned, arguments removed.

richm52
08-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Ray, thanks for cleaning this thread up.

Panzer Leader
08-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Thread cleaned, arguments removed.

Thanks G8 Ray. And thanks to everyone for input on the gauge question. It has now made the decision process easier. I plan on taping a rectal thermometer to my oil dipstick to get the oil temp, wiring electrical leads to my dog to judge the electrical output, and running a oil line to a ballon for the oil pressure. Too many options, too little time.:deadhorse:

richm52
08-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks G8 Ray. And thanks to everyone for input on the gauge question. It has now made the decision process easier. I plan on taping a rectal thermometer to my oil dipstick to get the oil temp, wiring electrical leads to my dog to judge the electrical output, and running a oil line to a ballon for the oil pressure. Too many options, too little time.:deadhorse:

LMAO Panzer Leader!! Like you I just wish we could get a set reasonably priced analog gauges.

kgb4187
08-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I think these are the gauges the OP was asking about:
http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/CustomerGallery/dede5-h.jpg

Panzer Leader
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes those are the ones. Would not mind having the double pods mounted on top with trans and differential temps. Oh well, will probably go with the Atari. BTW looks really nice. Classic look.

kgb4187
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I love those but didnt know installing them would be so involved.

chuckwi11
08-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Just saw that JHP is selling the binnacles (not the look I want) and they are pricey! I was hoping for a set like the OP was talking about and was willing to pay the JHP price but I guess they aren't making them anymore... I suppose I will go with the Atari gauges and a dual Aeroforce speaker pod setup... now to wait on someone that is willing to deal on a package price or until the individual components get a bit more reasonable in price. Have the money to buy but I think the posted prices are just a bit inflated.

GTPprix
08-20-2009, 07:20 AM
FYI I wouldn't wait on getting the Hacked Atari's the price is going up soon due to increase in component cost, just figured I'd give you the heads up!

bradshow
08-29-2009, 05:27 AM
can we buy the atari gauges from GM, what is the cost of those? and if I read the thread correctly those are just plug and play correct?

chuckwi11
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
FYI I wouldn't wait on getting the Hacked Atari's the price is going up soon due to increase in component cost, just figured I'd give you the heads up!

Appreciate the heads up! Now the $100,000.00 question... When is SAS going to have them in stock??? Seems like they have been unavailable on the website for almost two months now... maybe I exagerate, but it has been a while.

GTPprix
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
can we buy the atari gauges from GM, what is the cost of those? and if I read the thread correctly those are just plug and play correct?

You can buy the useless 2008 analog version if you want, it'll have some issues with other modules in the car on a 2009 though.

Appreciate the heads up! Now the $100,000.00 question... When is SAS going to have them in stock??? Seems like they have been unavailable on the website for almost two months now... maybe I exagerate, but it has been a while.

It's been I think about a month, I'm expecting them in any time now hopefully (I know not much help there!)

esinger
08-30-2009, 04:32 AM
You can buy the useless 2008 analog version if you want, it'll have some issues with other modules in the car on a 2009 though.

Absolutely no disrespect Chris, but I've been running mine for about 3 weeks and the only issue I can report is that it's kind of bright compared to the dash and other lighting when driving around at night. Day driving it looks fine.

If I run into any issues I'll post it up and describe what's happening and probably disconnect it and say you're right. But it's working great so far.

chuckwi11
08-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Which lighting profile did you buy/get?

Panzer Leader
08-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Absolutely no disrespect Chris, but I've been running mine for about 3 weeks and the only issue I can report is that it's kind of bright compared to the dash and other lighting when driving around at night. Day driving it looks fine.

If I run into any issues I'll post it up and describe what's happening and probably disconnect it and say you're right. But it's working great so far.

Right, what dimming effect did you buy. There were two available.

esinger
08-30-2009, 07:15 AM
This is the stock gauge that comes with the 2008 G8 GT's (Battery and Oil Pressure). I purchased it from VegasNate who pulled it from he's 2008 G8 GT, so it's completely stock no mods or hacks.

Panzer Leader
08-30-2009, 07:45 AM
There is your problem. The ones that Chris White has available are set up in two different illumination dimming brightness. Check out his web site. BTW his has battery, oil pressure and oil temp and the display is different from stock.

chuckwi11
08-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Ahhh... now I get it. I thought you had one of Chris' reprogrammed units.

Chris, do you have pics of the lighting curves? My concerns are having plenty bright in the bright Florida sun and having a bright but not over powering console light at night. Having never seen a stock unit it's hard for me to omagine how bright "bright" really is...

esinger
08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
There is your problem. The ones that Chris White has available are set up in two different illumination dimming brightness. Check out his web site. BTW his has battery, oil pressure and oil temp and the display is different from stock.

Chris will not mod/hack it. I've already been down that road and instead of being stuck with a 2008 gauge that I paid $100 for, I installed it in my G8.

My point was that it works fine in my G8, which I was told it would not.

R.Penguin
08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Sigh. http://www.vectormotorsports.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=20&category_id=29&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

GTPprix
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM

You'll have a BCM code more than likely and possibly some other small quirks. Its not as big of a deal on the stock Ataris as the Triple ones as one of the bugs on the triple ones is the unit randomly switching back to Metric frequently ;)

The problem is people cant discern the difference between "working" and "working correctly" because many people just dont know what they are looking for or dont have the tools IE a Tech 2 to say for sure its working right.

GTPprix
08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Ahhh... now I get it. I thought you had one of Chris' reprogrammed units.

Chris, do you have pics of the lighting curves? My concerns are having plenty bright in the bright Florida sun and having a bright but not over powering console light at night. Having never seen a stock unit it's hard for me to omagine how bright "bright" really is...

I dont, and Its relatively tough to capture the exact output of the units at night. I'll say this, if you are AT ALL worried about night driving get the 40% curve. Remember all the people bitching, covering ect the bright 2008's? It's almost that bright at the 10% curve.

To get a good idea how the display looks turn the dimmer all the way up at night and check the center DIC display in the cluster. Thats how bright the unit will be, now turn the dimmer all the way down and you'll see that end as well.

Panzer Leader
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I dont, and Its relatively tough to capture the exact output of the units at night. I'll say this, if you are AT ALL worried about night driving get the 40% curve. Remember all the people bitching, covering ect the bright 2008's? It's almost that bright at the 40% curve.

To get a good idea how the display looks turn the dimmer all the way up at night and check the center DIC display in the cluster. Thats how bright the unit will be, now turn the dimmer all the way down and you'll see that end as well.

Reference your second paragraph, that applies to the 40% curve?

GTPprix
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Reference your second paragraph, that applies to the 40% curve?

Correct, and I made a typo on the first paragraph, at the end it should say 10% not 40% LOL

The 40% curve follows the DIC at its extremes with a little deviation in the middle due to step size in the units.

OV5-G8OrgGT
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
My display came back today, and I was lucky enough to get it re-installed into my vehicle. Did some day time driving and night time driving and played with the brightness level, and it seemed to be what the Atari Guages was set at. I am happy and very pleased with the outcome. Thank you Chris!! Now we can hit the road in the morning and have a complete car. I just have to learn the proper levels for the Pressure readings, since idle is on number, cruising at 40 to 50 mph is another set of numbers, and if I punch it, the number is different, but again that is on me.