Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP4642: Drive Line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Default PIP4642: Drive Line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration

Well Tigger has fallen victim to PIP4642.
    It started Sunday afternoon and has gotten progressively worse.
    I started feeling a vibration that I first associated with maybe one of my rear wheels being out of balance, or that maybe my trailing arm bolts had started to loosen. So I checked all the simple quick fixes, and everything was good.
    The vibration has now gotten to the point that you feel like the entire drive shaft is going to launch itself from under the car.
    I took the car to my dealer, threw one of my mechanics buddies in the passenger seat and took him for a ride, then let him drive. We came back, put Tigger on the lift, did an inspection, and came up with nothing.
    Off to the computer we go, and find this:

#PIP4642: Drive line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration-keywords drone- (May 12, 2009) 2008-2009

Condition/Concern:
    There may be either a boom noise or vibration and in some cases both a noise & vibration detected in a very few 2008 & 2009 G8's. this condition may be detected by customers at speeds of 55-65 MPH on either 08 or 09 G8s. The noise could be described as a low frequency boom or moan noise (not a whine) coming through the body. The vibration is generally felt in the seat or the floor pan. the condition could be caused by either a misaligned center support bearing assembly or the prop shaft mounting to the differential yoke.

There is a procedure to go through to fix it and if that doesn't work there is nothing else to be done as Engineering hasn't found a permanent repair.

Isn't that just great.........

Luckily this problem presented itself before the torque converter was installed.
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Dang i hope she get fixed..
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

well that sucks, does the procedure look easy

2008 White Hot G8 GT

(new)499RWHP/474RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    (old)451RWHP / 498RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    1/4=11.400@118.7 17" Drag Radials, stall, cam 1.77 60'
    1/4=12.004@120.6 17" Drag Radials 2.03 60'
    1/4=12.270 @118.3 on 18" All Seasons 2.08 60'
    SLOWHAWK Tuned

If you can't say anything intelligent, say something loud and stupid
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

GM_Fan just reported this issue with his g8.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

The first rotation of the prop shaft has lessened the vibration. They are going to try one more rotation. After that there is nothing left to do until GM comes up with a fix, or until it causes something else to fail. Needless to say further performance mods are going on hold until this is resolved.
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya Jay... I HOPE I don't see this to... I want to do the same. Hold off until my suspension issues are resolved.

Good luck!

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

How many miles you have jay? Seems like were not hearing to much about it on vehicles that don't have many miles. Someone correct me I'm wrong.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Post Thanks / Like

Mine just turned over 21k.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Mine just turned over 21k.
    Is yours experiencing this issue yet? I'm just curious to see how much more could go wrong with this car. The more I read about stuff like this the more tempted I am to get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8GT594 View Post
    Is yours experiencing this issue yet? I'm just curious to see how much more could go wrong with this car. The more I read about stuff like this the more tempted I am to get rid of it.
    I was thinking the same thing, but you go to any car forum and you will hear about issues. Any of the holden's in oz having this issue?