Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: PIP4642: Drive Line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtolivecracker View Post
    OK so, i was at the dealership this morning for a noise that i cant identify. The noise started after i went to the drag strip(lots of wheel hop and unexperienced driving). its a moaning(cats meow), high frequency spinning noise, thats most apparent on decel. but i can sometimes hear it outside of decel also. its most apparent above 40 mph. it spinning sound slows down as the rpms drop. I am worried i f-ed something up at the strip, since it only has 4,500 miles on it, and i wasnt exactly nice to it, lots of bad wheel hop, the back of the ARH came off the hook.

What is strange is that i my car used to shake when it was new, and that went away, and there is no shaking anymore, but when the noise is happeneing, if you reach and touch the shifter lever, it feels like gears are grinding.

I talked to a friend who knows more than me, and he said i might have fucked up the gears, and to try and be nice to it for a while, and change the fluid. well, i took in today to see what their diagnosis would be. they(the service manager) claim that the noise is a regular driveline noise, and theres nothing they could do. i said its def not normal, the sound gives me headache. they said they checked the bulletins and theres nothing. i said i know theres one, he said dont believe half the crap you read online, i said can you change the fluid? they said no way, cant do that, we really cant do anything for you, and proceeded to tell me how awesome the car is. i left there with even more hatred for GM dealerships then before i went it, which was already very high.

FYI, this dealship is Callerimi in Budd Lake, NJ. They are terrible. Stay away from them.

Anyway, my GXP is hurting, and idk what to do...
    I agree with your friends assessment. It sounds like you screwed up your rear gear and it's "masking" the drive line vibration.
    SOLD: 2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6
    Current Vehicle: 1984 Chevy K10 (it's red and redneck)
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

Post Thanks / Like

One of our members broke the carrier bearing during violent wheel hop.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

The GXPs SUCK when it comes to wheel hop. My Cobra was as smooth as silk compared to the GXP. When I get my car back I WILL be putting the diff bushing in.
    New Vehicle: 1972 2wd K5 Blazer. It's being built right now. Link to the build is HERE

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
    - John Henry Boetcker

Thirsty for Knowledge mtolivecracker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    One of our members broke the carrier bearing during violent wheel hop.
    it has whizzing/twirling bad bearing type sound. do you think that could be it? or gears? is there any diagnosis i can atttempt? not afraid to rip the car apart

Black G8 GXP M6 Red/Onyx
    Lots of Mods

Post Thanks / Like

Get the car on jack stands and see if you can spin the tires by hand and try to notice where the noise is coming from. You'll need to make sure the car is SAFELY on jack stands and in neutral. Try to see if you can wiggle the driveshaft at the carrier bearing. It shouldn't any noticeable movement.

- John Henry Boetcker

Thirsty for Knowledge mtolivecracker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
    Get the car on jack stands and see if you can spin the tires by hand and try to notice where the noise is coming from. You'll need to make sure the car is SAFELY on jack stands and in neutral. Try to see if you can wiggle the driveshaft at the carrier bearing. It shouldn't any noticeable movement.
    I will try that, i usually dont hear it at low speeds, but then again, the car wont be running when its up so i might hear something. wish i had a dyno in my garage.

Black G8 GXP M6 Red/Onyx
    Lots of Mods

Post Thanks / Like

We bought our G8 GT in June and noticed this vibration at less then 1,000 miles. They tried all of the bulletin suggestions, but nothing helped. Told us we would just have to wait until Detroit came up with a fix. We suggested they replace the whole drive shaft, but they just looked at us! Love the G8 except for this problem. It is at its worst between 55 and 65 (where we are most of the time on the highway)

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Mine has a whining sound from 60-70 MPH

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Mine has a whining sound from 60-70 MPH
    His driveshaft was replaced.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    The whining is a weight placed on the transmission. One of the very 1st tsb's.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.