Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Shift Vs. Normal Shift

Post Thanks / Like

Question Sport Shift Vs. Normal Shift

What is the difference between sport and normal shift? Just quicker shifts while it's in sport mode? I thought I read somewhere that AFM is disabled in one of the modes, but I'm not sure if that's sport or manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yield2ten View Post
    What is the difference between sport and normal shift? Just quicker shifts while it's in sport mode? I thought I read somewhere that AFM is disabled in one of the modes, but I'm not sure if that's sport or manual.
    stiffer shifts in sport mode.

afm disabled only in manual mode
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sport shift will also hold gears for a while in certain circumstances. It loves to hold second gear in many cases.

I just wish it would downshift more. I often bog from a roll because I'll slow to 10-15 mph and even in sport shift it stays in 3rd... Maybe a tune can make quick work of that? I want to make normal downshift a bit more often, and sport more so (fairly aggressively)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    Sport shift will also hold gears for a while in certain circumstances. It loves to hold second gear in many cases.

I just wish it would downshift more. I often bog from a roll because I'll slow to 10-15 mph and even in sport shift it stays in 3rd... Maybe a tune can make quick work of that? I want to make normal downshift a bit more often, and sport more so (fairly aggressively)
    Last night i was at the 1/4 mile track and ran a 12.876 two times in a row. Once i was in sport mode the other time i was in drive.
    2011 high performance white mustang 3.73, vortech, vortech cai, kb bap, o/r h pipe, gt500 axleback, frpp lowering springs, 20' true forged wheels.

Gone white hot 09 g8 gt
    1/8 7.52 MPH 94.37 60ft. 1.76
    1/4 11.74 mph 117.00 60ft. 1.76

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 09gtt View Post
    Last night i was at the 1/4 mile track and ran a 12.876 two times in a row. Once i was in sport mode the other time i was in drive.
    Sport is not for drag strips but rather for rally/twisty stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

With a stock tune, the WOT upshift speed and shift points are the same for sport and normal mode. The advantage of sport mode for drag racing is the ability to tap shift to manual and hold 3rd.
    Neil
    '08 MGM G8 GT New Era CAI, ARH LT, CAM Tune
    12.59@109.6 MPH 1.89 60' Quickest Bolt-on G8?
    '94 396 LT-4 GS Camaro

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racerns View Post
    With a stock tune, the WOT upshift speed and shift points are the same for sport and normal mode. The advantage of sport mode for drag racing is the ability to tap shift to manual and hold 3rd.
    Manual mode is not sport mode but yes, if you want to let it go in sport to begin with and then switch to manual, you could, I guess.

Can you change the "downshiftiness" with a tune? Like I said, I want my normal mode to downshift more, and my sport mode to fairly aggressively downshift. Can a tune do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Posted this on another related thread but still the same info:

Sport Shift Mode
    The automatic transmission has a Sport Shift Mode. When you are in the Sport Shift Mode the vehicle will still shift auomatically. The transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in the normal driving mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration. To use this feature, move the shift lever over from D (Drive) to the right quadrant. The Sport Shift message in the DIC displays. If the shift lever is not moved forward or rearward, the vehicle remains in sport mode.

Performance Mode Lift Foot Mode
    Within Sport Shift Mode there is a further performance feature called Performance Mode Lift Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature is activated automatically when sports oriented driving is detected, based on cornering and on/off throttle application. PMLF allows the transmission to hold the current gear instead of upshifting when the throttle is lifted.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Superchips tuner, and sport mode does definitely downshift more than it did with the stock tune. Sometimes even when I'm not expecting it, she'll drop down into first and zoom past everyone. =)
    Mike
    2009 PBM G8 GXP
    Maggie 2300, Gforce axles, poly BMR bits, Solo Mach Shorty

2011 GMC Sierra 6.2 SLT All Terrain
    2009 PBM G8 GT - Traded for GXP
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD - SOLD
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - SOLD
    2008 Chevy Cobalt SS - traded for G8
    2004 Ford Crown Vic PI - SOLD
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis - SOLD
    1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1 cam, stall, rust - SOLD
    1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 - junked