Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport Shift Vs. Normal Shift

Post Thanks / Like

So does everyone run is Sport Mode for best performance while on the street like if you were going to race someone what mode would you select normal D or Sport mode or bypass both and do manual mode? I just dont see too much about manual mode. Before the cortex got picked on and man I was trying to make that A6 a manual to get the car to go. Didnt know what the hell I was doin ( hit the rev limiter since I ended up trying to downshift manually in sport mode and forgot at that point I needed to shift it now since I touched it and pretty much got

pissing'n wind = wet face stryker g8gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for a long twisty ride with stability control off, and in sport mode.....it is fun.....it is almost like sport mode learns for the first few miles and really adapts to what you are doing.

V8 Muscle

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEETHL View Post
    So does everyone run is Sport Mode for best performance while on the street like if you were going to race someone what mode would you select normal D or Sport mode or bypass both and do manual mode? I just dont see too much about manual mode. Before the cortex got picked on and man I was trying to make that A6 a manual to get the car to go. Didnt know what the hell I was doin ( hit the rev limiter since I ended up trying to downshift manually in sport mode and forgot at that point I needed to shift it now since I touched it and pretty much got
    Use whichever you prefer the feel of. Personally, I think sport mode is not nearly sporty enough and will be getting a tune soon. Sport mode should make the car a bit faster in most situations, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAG8 View Post
    Posted this on another related thread but still the same info:

Sport Shift Mode
    The automatic transmission has a Sport Shift Mode. When you are in the Sport Shift Mode the vehicle will still shift auomatically. The transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in the normal driving mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration. To use this feature, move the shift lever over from D (Drive) to the right quadrant. The Sport Shift message in the DIC displays. If the shift lever is not moved forward or rearward, the vehicle remains in sport mode.

Performance Mode Lift Foot Mode
    Within Sport Shift Mode there is a further performance feature called Performance Mode Lift Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature is activated automatically when sports oriented driving is detected, based on cornering and on/off throttle application. PMLF allows the transmission to hold the current gear instead of upshifting when the throttle is lifted.
    I've punched it from a standstill before and had to slow down for a corner in both modes and the tranny shifted back into 2nd from 3rd at (guessing) maybe 4 grand, the tranny senses how you are driving, the faster you drive the higher it will upshift (no surprise) and also downshift. Mine is probably accentuated more because of my tune, my redline is now 6200 instead of 6000 and I believe the shift points are higher in sport mode, I'm not sure of this though and it would be because of the tune. Tunes do wonders for this tranny.
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Stealth VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Vararam Ram Air, VMS HSRK, Front Panel Mod, axle-back straight pipes with capped Helmholtz chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

Did notice this morning while I was driving home on a flat surface that at a constant speed say 55 when i had it in drive (D) and switched over to Sport mode the RPM's climbed 250 and depending on the speed with no footpedal change it would climb 500 rpms. Drove today in D and took off from the stop lights and it felt quick. I do have the cortex tune TM at 50% everything else at SC value but was really wondering if at an all out situation you would want to be in in a certain mode over the other. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have tuned both of these and there are some minor differences in the two. While they use the same 100% shift speed, Sport Mode has the last 3 cells of each gear at the same shift speed as the 100% cell. This is the part of the mode that is good for driving in the twisties so it will hold the gear in mid turn while there is stable throttle input.

Also Sport Mode and Manual Mode use a different clutch lock up profile for the actual clutch packs. Auto Mode uses a regular ole solid lock up with very little slip, while Sport Mode and Manual mode allow more slip until the clutch pack completly locks up.

This gives a softer hit when the gear change happens so to not disturb the car on shifts that happen mid turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAG8 View Post
    Posted this on another related thread but still the same info:

Performance Mode Lift Foot Mode
    Within Sport Shift Mode there is a further performance feature called Performance Mode Lift Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature is activated automatically when sports oriented driving is detected, based on cornering and on/off throttle application. PMLF allows the transmission to hold the current gear instead of upshifting when the throttle is lifted.
    Anyone have this happen in Normal / Drive? (not Sport) I accelerated full throttle to pass, let off the throttle at maybe 80mph, the car did not upshift for about 3-4 seconds instead it held the gear at about 3,000 rpm.
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    Sport shift will also hold gears for a while in certain circumstances. It loves to hold second gear in many cases.

I just wish it would downshift more. I often bog from a roll because I'll slow to 10-15 mph and even in sport shift it stays in 3rd... Maybe a tune can make quick work of that? I want to make normal downshift a bit more often, and sport more so (fairly aggressively)
    If you read the owner's manual there are actually four modes in our tranny if you have an auto

Normal
    Sport
    Manual
    and then Sport (I can't remember what they officially call it)

The Sport (I can't remember what they officially call it) will hold a gear under specific driving conditions and load because it is assuming you're on a race track and you want it to hold the gear so you have power ready to ramp right up as you come out of a downshift. The gear holding is actually a subset of Sport, and a totally different programming curve.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle09GT View Post
    If you read the owner's manual there are actually four modes in our tranny if you have an auto

Normal
    Sport
    Manual
    and then Sport (I can't remember what they officially call it)

The Sport (I can't remember what they officially call it) will hold a gear under specific driving conditions and load because it is assuming you're on a race track and you want it to hold the gear so you have power ready to ramp right up as you come out of a downshift. The gear holding is actually a subset of Sport, and a totally different programming curve.
    I read it once, kind of boring. LOL I'll have to did through the service manuals I bought to see if it mentions anything in there.

Thanks for the "head's up"
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I call the extra mode "pissed off sport mode" because I don't know the right name. It's a huge help on road racing courses, just like tjay74 describes. Entering a corner hard on the brakes, it will go from say 3rd to 2nd during the decel, you turn in with little to no throttle input, but the rpm's are up there, like 4000rpm, then you punch it leaving the corner and it is ready to go without shifting. If you get aggressive on a twisty road it will enter this mode as well. I think it needs to be tuned a little better, but the difference between this mode and hammering to convince it to shift is night and day!

Andy
    2009 G8 GT, TVS2300, etc