Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08 G8 GT Alignment specs

Post Thanks / Like

Virus I have heard reports that it is the AFM. Just had my TPMS rechecked and revalidated. Now the dealer is saying that the TPMS has a +/- of 2 psi. So what the hell was the TSB for? They also said that the pressure reading on the tire guage would never match what is displayed on the DIC. WTF Cold Pressure is cold pressure. I am having another dealer on Monday to redo the alignment. They are an authorixed PEDDERS distributor and understand the Pedders washers. They are doing it as warranty work (God bless Them) In fact they are the dealer that my dealer got the Pedders Washers from. On and on and on. Well at least it ain't a Chrysler.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my issues continue. The tire place called and told me that the alignment was out. The steering wheel is almost centered, but not perfect, it's still leaning towards the right. Worse of all they said that 3 of the tires could not be road force balanced. 15lbs was the limit and they required 20lbs. They said it was caused by flat spots in all 3 tires. I brought this to my local service advisor the day after I bought the car. He first said GM requires customers to drive 500 miles first, then when I went to pick my car up he changed that to 1000 miles. I now have 2700 miles on them. As I stated before he keeps telling me to go back to the dealership of purchase. I don't want to drive 1.5 hours away to have service done. I've already used 3 days of annual leave for this piece of shit!

While I like the tire shop they kinds pissed me off today as well. I made absolutely sure to tell them that the front tires take 36psi and the rears take 39psi. When I picked the car up they put on the invoice that I had over inflated all 4 tires and told me to use 35psi. They RF balanced the tires at 35psi. When I picked the car up the guy thought I was nuts and I showed him the door sticker. He said he felt like an ass. Does road force balancing at 35psi make any difference?
    Last edited by Virus; 06-13-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    Virus I have heard reports that it is the AFM. Just had my TPMS rechecked and revalidated. Now the dealer is saying that the TPMS has a +/- of 2 psi. So what the hell was the TSB for? They also said that the pressure reading on the tire guage would never match what is displayed on the DIC. WTF Cold Pressure is cold pressure. I am having another dealer on Monday to redo the alignment. They are an authorixed PEDDERS distributor and understand the Pedders washers. They are doing it as warranty work (God bless Them) In fact they are the dealer that my dealer got the Pedders Washers from. On and on and on. Well at least it ain't a Chrysler.
    The recall is for the TPMS not reporting low tire pressure according to the specifications. It needs to be re-programmed so a warning occurs at the correct tire pressure. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the sensors.
    AFM does have a small vibration, but rarely felt in the steering wheel.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    Well my issues continue. The tire place called and told me that the alignment was out. The steering wheel is almost centered, but not perfect, it's still leaning towards the right. Worse of all they said that 3 of the tires could not be road force balanced. 15lbs was the limit and they required 20lbs. They said it was caused by flat spots in all 3 tires. I brought this to my local service advisor the day after I bought the car. He first said GM requires customers to drive 500 miles first, then when I went to pick my car up he changed that to 1000 miles. I now have 2700 miles on them. As I stated before he keeps telling me to go back to the dealership of purchase. I don't want to drive 1.5 hours away to have service done. I've already used 3 days of annual leave for this piece of shit!

While I like the tire shop they kinds pissed me off today as well. I made absolutely sure to tell them that the front tires take 36psi and the rears take 39psi. When I picked the car up they put on the invoice that I had over inflated all 4 tires and told me to use 35psi. They RF balanced the tires at 35psi. When I picked the car up the guy thought I was nuts and I showed him the door sticker. He said he felt like an ass. Does road force balancing at 35psi make any difference?
    I run 34 or 35 in mine. The rear 39 spec is for a fully loaded car. If you don't carry a lot of weight in the trunk use the same pressure as the front.
    Call Pontiac customer care. They will help ensure you get tires that will road force balance. According to GM, you can get warranty work done at ANY GM dealer. The guy refusing to warranty your car is an ass. IMHO.
    I bought a G6 in Calif and had a dealer in Indy put brand new tires on my G6 because of vibration. So that dealer that won't help needs a attitude check.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The dealership is going to attempt to RF balance all 4 tires. They said they can't accept another facilities info. Funny how they couldn't even balance them the first 5 times I asked because GM wouldn't cover it under warranty. After riding all day I can say it's riding worse since the RF balance. I'm hopeful the dealership will install 3 new tires and this will end this problem.
    Last edited by Virus; 06-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my alignment was WAY off after caster washers, and even the rear was off after subframe bushing install. These made the car wander more than acceptable with sticky tires. The out-of-spec areas were not even consistent, so it all has to be checked....
    '09 SRM GT. Pedders/BMR bushings, Whiteline front swaybar, BMR rear sway bar, trailing arms, subframe connectors, Spohn rear LCA, GXP rear shocks, GTS wheel, Vector HSRK, Ls2Portworks throttle body, Vararam, GXP front Brembos, EBC pads, Russell brake lines, XXR wheels, Corsa catback with custom tips, hacked Atari gauges, V6 taillights/door handles, upgraded speakers, black window trim, blacked grilles, custom pin stripes,

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The pot thickens! My G8 seemed to be worse after RF balance. I took the car into the dealership so they could take a look and I'm glad I did. The dealership showed me the before and after RF balancing on their Hunter 9700. They also provided me with the GM spec sheet showing that 18 lbs of RF was allowed by GM specs. Piedmont Tire told me 15 lbs. 2 tires were at 19 lbs RF after Piedmonts balance. After dealerships balance I have a 5 lbs, 12 lbs, 15 lbs and a 10 lbs. All within spec and it's riding better. Not completely without shake all the time, but definitely good. After looking at Piedmont's alignment spec sheet I am still out of alignment on one thing and I can't remember what it is. The spec was .6 flat and it is at .7. How the hell am I going to get my $88 back for their failed RF balance?

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a copy of my alignment. I was told by the shop that the Cross Caster cannot be adjusted. I would appreciate if someone could look at this and advise:

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...8Alignment.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

VIRUS I feel your pain. Mine is going to my private mechanic on Thursday. Dealership is no help resolving problem.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    VIRUS I feel your pain. Mine is going to my private mechanic on Thursday. Dealership is no help resolving problem.
    The alignment was done at Piedmont Tire & Auto. I need to know if they are telling me the truth when they state the Cross Caster cannot be adjusted?