Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My version of the LP mod...

Post Thanks / Like

Default My version of the LP mod...

with my Roto-Fab taking air from farther down then the stock box, I was trying to think of ways to get more air into that area, but I wasn't keen on cuting a hole in my Lower Panel.. well it turned out that the blocked area where the honeycomb is on the lower grill, is open behind there...

So I pulled the grill and did some modding, now my "lower Panel" mod is kinda Ram air...

Stock

Half out, This is a bitch for those of us with front plates... but it is possible

Off

Back side

Cutting, I used my band saw.. it JUST fit.. another half inch and it would have been a lot easier.

Done after some sanding to clean it all up

On to the car.. the opening.

A little "fix" to make things look right..

DONE!!!

This was a 30min mod at most.. 15 if you have the same tools and aren't as picky as I am.

removal video..
    Last edited by peterg22000; 07-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic219_1.gif
    2009 Phantom Metallic G8 GTS
    Appearance;HSV Fenders | HSV GTS Spoiler | GXP Bumper | GXP Diffuser | HSV Triple Gauges with Dash/Console conversion(First in North America) | HSV GTS Sport Steering Wheel | 20% tint | 6.0 Litre V8 Badges | Blacked out Window & Grill Chrome| V6 door handles | Tinted Tails/Front Side Markers
    Performance; Tuned | Roto Fab CAI | SLP Long tube Headers & PowerFlow axlebacks | Xpipe | DOD Delete | GTO LS2 Cam | Forged Rods & Pistons
    Handling; XA Coilovers | BMR Swaybars | "EXTREMEContact" tires
    Coming soon; Boost!

12.9199 @ 106mph <old setup, before DOD delete/GTO cam/Forging

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by peterg22000 View Post
    with my Roto-Fab taking air from farther down then the stock box, I was trying to think of ways to get more air into that area, but I wasin't keen on cuting a hold in my Lpwer Panel.. well it turned out that the area where the honeycomb is on the lower grill, is open behind there...

So I pulled the grill and did some modding, now my "lower Panel" mod is kinda Ram air ... Stock

This was a 30min mod at most.. 15 if you have the same tools and aren't as picky as I am.
    Personally, I think your mod is brilliant. Think there is any liability if it rains heavily, as the stock airbox has it's pick up down low near that area which is maybe why the factory grill is blocked off, but I'm not sure.
    Intake, Exhaust, Cam, & Tuned @Livernois Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Any tips on how to get the grill out without damaging it, or the paint?

Appreciative Member confused2much's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbradsh1 View Post
    Think there is any liability if it rains heavily?
    I wonder about this too. But other than that, I think it is a great mod. I might do this myself. It really turned out great!

2009 MGM G8 GT - Premium Package, Aftermarket Moonroof, 19" Rims W/Summer Tires

Current Mods: NEP CAI, 20% Tint, 55W 6000K HID's, Debadged

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yea, I'm just a bit worried about breaking the clips holding the lower panel on. Anyone with a suggestion, cause I'm ready to do this mod!

I tried a small flat head screwdriver with a paper towel wrapped around the end but I just didn't feel comfortable trying to pry the thing out without first getting some feedback from someone who's already done it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a new GRRRR8 mod.

I'm surprised no one has done this yet, these lowere grills are blocked off on a lot of newer cars and can benifit from being open.
    2009 SBM G8GT (Garage Queen)
    Best Time- 12.640 @ 111.78 1.994 60' w/2.92 gears NOW- 3.45s and fast!
    click on any colored words in sig for more detail
    8222 miles and resting 8/16/2020

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I looked it over and opening up the lower grill pumps fresh air directly into the RF pick up area.

Post Thanks / Like

That's smart. It's on my to-do list now. Especially like the Canadian Tire paint can in the post!

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT (Premium/Performance) Mods: Solo Mach Balanced cat-back, Roto-Fab Custom Engine Covers, Superchips 91 Tune, Third Shift Studios Atari Gauge Cover, Roto-Fab CAI, de-badged, Billet Prototypes Catch-can, Roto-Fab Rad Cover, HID's, 20" staggered Camaro rims, Tint and VG Sharkfin antenna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbradsh1 View Post
    Yea, I'm just a bit worried about breaking the clips holding the lower panel on. Anyone with a suggestion, cause I'm ready to do this mod!

I tried a small flat head screwdriver with a paper towel wrapped around the end but I just didn't feel comfortable trying to pry the thing out without first getting some feedback from someone who's already done it.
    just put your fingers through the opening in the honeycomb, feel for where the clip it and PULL on the outter rim of the grill near the clip (not the honeycomb itself) you can even pull and grip the end with the fog light till you get your fingers under it to pull it out (At least I could with my skinny fingers)

there are NO TOOL REQUIRED for removing the grill.. only for cutting the grill.
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic219_1.gif
    2009 Phantom Metallic G8 GTS
    Appearance;HSV Fenders | HSV GTS Spoiler | GXP Bumper | GXP Diffuser | HSV Triple Gauges with Dash/Console conversion(First in North America) | HSV GTS Sport Steering Wheel | 20% tint | 6.0 Litre V8 Badges | Blacked out Window & Grill Chrome| V6 door handles | Tinted Tails/Front Side Markers
    Performance; Tuned | Roto Fab CAI | SLP Long tube Headers & PowerFlow axlebacks | Xpipe | DOD Delete | GTO LS2 Cam | Forged Rods & Pistons
    Handling; XA Coilovers | BMR Swaybars | "EXTREMEContact" tires
    Coming soon; Boost!

12.9199 @ 106mph <old setup, before DOD delete/GTO cam/Forging

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get my grill to budge at all. Are you supposed to pull or push the clip while pulling on the grill at all?
    2009 MGM G8 GT
    Maggie 1900, 3.1" pulley, LS9 injectors, Roto-Fab intake, Solo Axlebacks w/ X-pipe