Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stripped Screws for Intake Cover...what to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Have that inch lb torque wrench sent to a cal lab. Somethings wrong if it broke at 44 inch lbs.
    Must be a Harbor Freight special?

I was confused when Charlie said the torque was supposed to be 89 in-lbs and that is why it broke.
    2008 PBM G8GT, TVS1900, Rick Crawford blower cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Corsa Cat-back, CHenry Tuned, RotoFab, BP Catch Can, Pedders Lowered Touring Suspension w/ sway bars, CTS-V wheels, Brembos front/rear, in-dash GPS/Bluetooth, de-chromed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08G8V8 View Post
    Must be a Harbor Freight special?

I was confused when Charlie said the torque was supposed to be 89 in-lbs and that is why it broke.
    I think he missed that he bought an inch torque wrench and had the other already.

I wonder if the broken bolt can be sent to me. I'd like to do a hardness test on it. I have the ability to do a standard rockwell test in it, as well as a micro-harness test.
    Well, if I ever use my stainless fasteners Charlie sent me I guess I could do my own. However, I didn't break any of mine.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 05-03-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight exactly. Went to all the local hardware stores and automotive and found nothing in inch lbs. Probably could have gone to Sears I guess. It was a combo of a poor tool and operator. Damn box said it would click, and it doesn't (my ft lb yells at me). I was paying more attention with my ears than the feel of the wrench. Live and learn.

If you want the stripped bolts, shoot me a PM and I can send them both to you (or 1 if that's all you need).
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed that and thought you torqued to 44 FT lbs. Inch Lbs are tricky. If you dont use a smooth range of motion you can go right by it and if the bolts are weak they will break.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majesticix View Post
    Harbor Freight exactly. Went to all the local hardware stores and automotive and found nothing in inch lbs. Probably could have gone to Sears I guess. It was a combo of a poor tool and operator. Damn box said it would click, and it doesn't (my ft lb yells at me). I was paying more attention with my ears than the feel of the wrench. Live and learn.

If you want the stripped bolts, shoot me a PM and I can send them both to you (or 1 if that's all you need).

PM sent. I'll post what I find.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Went out in the mail today.
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so Mike got one bolt out...couldn't get at the other one because the drill bit wouldn't bite into the center of the bolt...any other crazy ideas before I have the engine ripped apart?

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Republic of Texas Mod bwooten492's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can you see any of the bolt with the intake off?
    08 IOM G8 GT
    Texas stock

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so Mike got one bolt out...couldn't get at the other one because the drill bit wouldn't bite into the center of the bolt...any other crazy ideas before I have the engine ripped apart?
    Well not an idea about getting the bolts out. If the drill won't bite into that bolt it leads me to believe they are not case hardened, but heat treated through. To break one it must be pretty hard.
    Anyway, the bracket in the back is actually a safety device for the fuel rail in case of a front end collision. A Risk perhaps not to have it..........

BTW, an EDM is the only other way to get the bolt out.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the drill bit is just walking across the face of the break, you could try lowering a hollow sleeve into the bolt hole. Run the drill bit down thru a hole in the centre of the sleeve.
    Also if using a right hand twist drill bit, swap to a left hand twist (and vice versa).