Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Car maintenance during the winter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car maintenance during the winter

What happens for the 6 months of the year when the temperatures are below freezing and there's snow on the ground and you wanna clean your car? How do you clean your car in such conditions? Or do you just leave it filthy for spring. Never thought about this. Never had a car that i gave a Sh$% about during the winter lol.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Snow and ice can scratch the clear coat as they slide off. If at all possible keep inside. If not invest in a good cover. When washing when cold use rubber kitchen gloves to protect the hands and use the sun to be your friend unlike in the summer when it is your enemy.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I use my parents heated garage which has a drain in the floor for big cleaning but for quick (gotta get the salt off) cleanings I use the no touch spray washes. I want nothing touching my paint on this black car. I did the same with my Vue too as it was black.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4gasem View Post
    I use my parents heated garage which has a drain in the floor for big cleaning but for quick (gotta get the salt off) cleanings I use the no touch spray washes. I want nothing touching my paint on this black car. I did the same with my Vue too as it was black.
    Was easier and???cheaper??? to move to FL from IA for the winter....

Back in the stone age when I was up north year-round, I just left the cars dirty for the entire winter. By March, they were so stealth, they looked like Gremlins!

Truth - I found it impossible to just use a pressure washer system to actually de-scumafy any car. Have to bite the bullet and use a bucket and mitt. And...YEA...it will scratch your car....

2 solutions - PARK IT and drive a winter beater....

OR LIVE WITH IT AN WAX IT BEFORE...AFTER...

RRM

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Moser View Post
    Was easier and???cheaper??? to move to FL from IA for the winter....

Back in the stone age when I was up north year-round, I just left the cars dirty for the entire winter. By March, they were so stealth, they looked like Gremlins!

Truth - I found it impossible to just use a pressure washer system to actually de-scumafy any car. Have to bite the bullet and use a bucket and mitt. And...YEA...it will scratch your car....

2 solutions - PARK IT and drive a winter beater....

OR LIVE WITH IT AN WAX IT BEFORE...AFTER...

RRM

Cheaper I doubt... I know what it costs to live in Naples... But since my parents are there all winter I use their garage so I guess to say it was cheaper for me to have my parents move to Florida would be a correct statement... lol

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

gotta get me some of that. Were can i get this my local auto parts place?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    gotta get me some of that. Were can i get this my local auto parts place?
    LOL I should have elaborated... My bad...

It's the touchless car wash like some gas stations have. Drive in and the door shuts behind you, it does undercarriage and then the body. Isn't perfect but MUCH better than letting it go!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I should have elaborated... My bad...

It's the touchless car wash like some gas stations have. Drive in and the door shuts behind you, it does undercarriage and then the body. Isn't perfect but MUCH better than letting it go!
    I have a touchless car wash near me. Completely ZERO contact with the car. I think ill go there once a week. As long as it's safe and open.