Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $20 Oil catch can

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

lol the welfare catch can. there will always be welfare mods, won't there? i did this, worked great 3+ years, no problems at all. finally spent money on a pretty one, then sold the car. still in the garage somewhere, so will eventually install on GT. do take the innards out. do pay attention to the directional arrows. do install in a place you can easily get to the drain valve (optional, but helpful). the can will age quickly with heat, so won't look pretty after a year or so, but not a big deal to me.
    Unmolested & M~o~d-F~r~e~e 2009.5 G8 GT Hybrid* Liquid Red Black&Red Sport Perf Roof
    2003 SRT-4 GT3071r 401 whp 429 tq @ 21 psi - traded for the above, but never forgotten
    *2000 WS6 power and drivetrain (traded) +
    2002 SC'd GP GTP 4d sedan (sold) configuration =
    G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me exactly why you want the "innards" removed (other than "that's the way it works, dummy")? Intellectually, gravity does not cause oil vapor to fall out of the air. Oil vapor must adhere to a surface. This is the purpose of "innards". To give more surface area. If there is a good reason to remove them, I'd like to hear it.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

The particulate medium supplied in the (Lowe's or Home Depot) air compressor oil/water/air separator is made of a material that is too dense for motor oil. It will clog up and impede airflow, which we don't want. Therefore, it is removed.
    There are some who say, "Leave it out", and that's OK for them.
    There are some of us who think you should put "something" back in the chamber for the oil to condense on and eventually drip off of into the bottom for draining. This can be several different types of material, but should NOT be anything that will dissolve or melt in the PCV vapors. Your choice. I, personally, like a good old-fashoned pot scrubber (metallic/non-ferric)(copper is good). Just use a bit, not the whole thing. Maybe there's one by the kitchen sink. Go on; take a little; she won't notice.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the innards removed on both my 03 cobra's and my lightning and it worked great I pulled the blower on my truck to get it ported and the intercooler was clean
    2009 G8 Gt debadged
    Circle D 3200 stall + B&M tranny cooler, Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted X pipe,Comp cam,Magna flow mufflers,Roto fab intake, UDP,Ported throttle body

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the same part from Lowes for my catch can. It gets emptied about once a month. The innards have remained inside. They do assist in the condensing of the oil vapor and it does not clog or impede the airflow. It works well. I did not use one on my Silverado and once when I removed the intake, it was coated with black tar. The injector tips were also dirty on the intake side. Do it, you will not regret it.
    09 Sport Metallic Red G8 GT, Livernois Tune, AR 1 7/8 LT headers with HPC coating, RotoFab CAI, Brembo Brakes, Front Grill Cutaway, GXP Diffuser, Oil catch can (DuclosBrosRacing design) Custom logo Embriodery on headrests Sirius Radio Module

!!!!!AND A BRAND SPANKING NEW ENGINE AT 35K!!!!!

7. Thanks KW35GXP thanked for this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI .... I've done some chasing on catchcans ... here is a URL that has excellent background on the function - as typical...it's form or function and form may not provide the best function (imagine that!). Any ways read the white paper and make you own "educated decision".

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm#pricing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
    The particulate medium supplied in the (Lowe's or Home Depot) air compressor oil/water/air separator is made of a material that is too dense for motor oil. It will clog up and impede airflow, which we don't want. Therefore, it is removed.
    There are some who say, "Leave it out", and that's OK for them.
    There are some of us who think you should put "something" back in the chamber for the oil to condense on and eventually drip off of into the bottom for draining. This can be several different types of material, but should NOT be anything that will dissolve or melt in the PCV vapors. Your choice. I, personally, like a good old-fashoned pot scrubber (metallic/non-ferric)(copper is good). Just use a bit, not the whole thing. Maybe there's one by the kitchen sink. Go on; take a little; she won't notice.
    Thanks, that clears it up a bit. I used a tractor part which is larger, and has an internal stainless screen, so I assumed others were similiar.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

If duke says the Kobalt filter works as is, that's good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

so the expensive catch cans look a lot like the cheap catch cans (minus the 20 micron filter element with liquid dispersion disc) which sounds like a lot of hoohaw.

So spend 148 or 20 bux? I want one of these but just not totally sold on it.
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies