Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Swap a 4l80e and the 6l80e out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swap a 4l80e and the 6l80e out

Hi, This is my first post as I have just after buying a 2007 Holden VE SS Ute (Elcamino type body). I want to install a 4L80E in and take the 6L80E out. Pontiac G8's are a Holden Commodore in Australia (Majority of you probably already know this). I ran it last weekend (1/4 mile) and it ran a 12.64 @ 114mph - I am reasonably happy with it (I ran it as I bought it - just got it dyno tuned).
    I am definitely going to step it up and aiming to have final crank horsepower figure around 900HP.
    After talking to some people at the track, I hear that the 6L80E is one of the weak links and it was suggested that I install a 4L80E.
    Feedback from anyone who has done this to their G8 with an LS2/L98 motor would be preferable.
    What failed in the driveline?
    What other driveline modifications did you make?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by VE SS; 02-24-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your Ute.
    I have done NOTHING to my transmission (not even change the torque converter, which I probably should) and I did great times at the track. I haven't been active at the track for years now so I haven't been up on all the racing stuff but I don't think your transmission is the weak spot. Sure, going with less gears would help some but before you do that, why don't you change the differential? I put a Camaro 3.27 in that helped. Beef up the motor also will make better times.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping the 6L80E

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Congratulations on your Ute.
    I have done NOTHING to my transmission (not even change the torque converter, which I probably should) and I did great times at the track. I haven't been active at the track for years now so I haven't been up on all the racing stuff but I don't think your transmission is the weak spot. Sure, going with less gears would help some but before you do that, why don't you change the differential? I put a Camaro 3.27 in that helped. Beef up the motor also will make better times.
    OK - Have decided to stay with the 6L80E as it will be better for highway use and have found a transmission shop that will warranty a custom built trans to take 900 crank horsepower.
    Yes I am changing to a true track rear end with 3.47 gears
    Will also be adding nitrous to the motor when I get the trans and rear done.
    Thanks for replying.
    Regards Rob.