Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12-1/2 years and finally, a catastrophic failure

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12-1/2 years and finally, a catastrophic failure

Headliner fell. So...what are my options?

If this is all that I have to say grace over in the whole time I have owned this thing, I have led a blessed life!

By the way, last night I FINALLY saw a GXP in its native environment. A white GXP in Lumberton, about as pristine of a Holden as I have ever seen, obviously garaged, possibly less than 20K on the odometer and possible more well-kept and analized-over than my own. We gave each other thumbs up. Had previously seen a blue one earlier in the day, then on the way home I saw ANOTHER white G8. Most I have seen in one day, ever.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I Googled headliner repair and found a company that comes to you in my area. Not 100% OE but they did a real good job on my DD. Forget the exact cost, wanna say like $125ish. Took less then an hour.

Can't say I recall ever seeing 2 G8s in the wild on the same day.
    --Brian--

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2008 Chevy Impala SS--Traded 4/1/2021
    2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
    2001 GMC Sierra

GODSPEED CHARLIE!!! R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony,
    When you DO find the perfect fix, let us know. Almost 2 years ago, before my G8 took a long snooze on the 4-post lift, I noticed the right rear corner of the headliner "coming loose a little bit". Fast forward to this summer, when I finally had the time to DRIVE the car, and the headliner material is flapping all over the damned place. Yes, I know there is a YouTube video on how to remove the headliner without having to remove the engine, trans and tail lights. But I am going to suffer with the situation for the remainder of the summer. Still a badass ride.
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, nothing is going to be done until it gets cooler in October. No biggie, I have other transportation. I saw that vid after posting this up, so it'll get taken out and taken over to a local auto upholstery shop for them to do. I have a bad wheel bearing-like noise that is more pressing. Cant seem to locate the source, but heck, every rotating part probably needs replacement after twelve years!
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and ordered my headliner after reading yet another G8 having this issue. If your going to go through Amazon for the material, you might want to get it quick. They only had 4 left when I ordered mine and sure enough, now it says 3.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Kermit, can you post the Amazon link?

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, I just typed "G8 headliner" in the search block and found it.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

I briefly saw an orange GXP on the show floor in 2009. Wish I had gotten a chance to drive it, still feel regret. I hardly ever see my car, sometimes G6’s, but I live in a less populated area. At 12 years, he still gets looks and people still ask about him.

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SabrinaOriginalOwner2009 View Post
    I briefly saw an orange GXP on the show floor in 2009. Wish I had gotten a chance to drive it, still feel regret. I hardly ever see my car, sometimes G6’s, but I live in a less populated area. At 12 years, he still gets looks and people still ask about him.
    That was a show car only actually. Last time I saw it was when it was headed on a trailer into a GM building from traffic. It did run and drive though.

As far as headliners, interior shop ballparks are around $300-500. Some pull the glass to pull the board out. The rear window is actually pretty easy to yank.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

I'd find a good local interior shop in your area and let them at least source the materials for the headliner, if not do the work for you. I know when the time comes for mine I have a shop lined up that does excellent interior work. I was blown away at the material selection and also the ability to match to the existing materials when I had my wife's TBSS sub box done.
    - Matt