Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12-1/2 years and finally, a catastrophic failure

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my car for quite a while now and I wanna say I have only seen 3 GXP's. I have seen several base models and quite a few GT's but hardly ever a GXP. I do remember one that I saw was the Stryker Blue and while I didn't think I would like the color, when I got up close to it....It looked badass.

As for the headliner, I actually replaced my a month ago. One day I was driving with my windows down and all of a sudden I see something flapping in the corner of my eye and realize its the headliner on the passenger side by the window. I took it into a shop a few days later and they had lots of material to choose from and unless you were really paying attention you wouldn't know it wasn't the factory headliner. It cost just under $400 but I did have to pay a little more due to the fact that I have a sunroof and there was more labor involved. But for $400 and with how well it looks I am completely happy with it. I was thinking at first it was gonna cost alot more.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, $380 here: Found a guy who comes to you and does it. He's been doing headliners since 1996. Said he can do them in the car, "just a little messy" he says after he gets finished. MY ASS! I'll take it out before he gets here and have it on a couple of tables set side-by-side and he can make a mess there!
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the material you choose it's not that hard to do yourself. Something like suede is a little less forgiving and need to have the right amount of stretch. A material similar to the factory liner will be forgiving and easily forms to the features like lights and Handel pockets.
    I'm not the best with interior work like seats or panels but I have done a few headliners and they all turned out great.

I definitely would not recommend doing it in the car. It's way to easy to get glue on something and the time you have covering everything in plastic you can have the head liner out.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

I'll pull the seats out and cover the rear door. If I were to pull a window it would be the front. I've never had a window so pitted on any car. It needs a new front window, but with all the negative threads about people wishing they'd never had to do it I will just wait on the window, and take the headliner out the door.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rear window also comes out relatively easy. But most people go out via the door.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T