Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Need imemediate recommendations for an Engine Upgrade on a budget!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need imemediate recommendations for an Engine Upgrade on a budget!!

Hello everyone,

I know there are tons of posts on this, but I just wanted to get the best recommendations for an engine upgrade on a budget. Let me explain...

My '09 GT is suffering from the notorious collapsed lifter issue. I've already been riding on it as such for a couple thousand miles and finally have the money to go in and get it fixed. My mechanic said that to change out the lifters, change the head gasket and fix some other minor issues the engine has, it will be $2400. I already know the engine will be pretty much taken apart and right now is the best time as any to do whatever it is I'm going to do to it. So my question is, are there any kits I can still buy that are still offered in order to upgrade certain components, like different lifters, valves, crank etc? I know Texas and Maryland Speed used to carry as such, I don't know if they still do or not. But here's the kicker, I live in California and will need to pass smog. Also, I will still be using it as a daily driver until I can finally buy myself an eco car in the near future, so whatever I do has to be budget friendly, especially because I also recently bought a new home. Also considering, I'm not looking to get any major power bumps that will make it idle rough and chug gas as it still needs to be a daily driver in the end (plus I have a lead foot so I don't want to get myself into too much trouble). Engine overall has been solid and haven't had any other major issues, aside from the collapsed lifter. I barely passed 100k miles on it the other day, so in a sense she is way under mileage as well.

Please advise on any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by LiquidRedBeautyGT; 06-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Immediate**

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When you chose to continue running when you heard the noise, you eliminated the cheap option. To have longevity, the engine will have to come out and be flushed to remove all the shards generated while you have been ignoring it.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

what jcmGT said... there are no 'self-fixing' problems with automobiles (or much else for that matter). When the old girl starts to make a noise she has never made before, she is going to need attention. Maybe its just a branch dragging underneath... but she will STILL need attention.
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for. The cheap option will get you cheap results and you’ll wind up spending more in the end.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery