Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: How critical is a "blower" cam in an LSA build?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How critical is a "blower" cam in an LSA build?

Hi. I'm thinking of doing the LSA. I previously did the DOD delete with a pretty stout cam (VMS 1.5). Lots of lift and duration. How will the LSA run with that cam? I don't want to build the bottom end. My preference is to just do the LSA swap on the engine essentially "as is". I would keep boost to a minimum, I guess around 5-6psi. Thoughts? I also swapped trannies to the TR6060 so the torque converter obviously isn't an issue. Thanks.
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT, VMS 1.5 DoD Delete and Tunes, Vararam CAI, Kooks Mid-length Headers, AEM Wide Band O2, high-flow cats, Corsa Catback exhaust, M6 conversion, MGW Shifter, GXP Diff 3.70

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of power, this is a daily driver. I never rev past 5000. I don't race it. I'm looking for a fun project and an increase in bottom and mid rpm power and torque. I'm not after max gains. Yet....
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT, VMS 1.5 DoD Delete and Tunes, Vararam CAI, Kooks Mid-length Headers, AEM Wide Band O2, high-flow cats, Corsa Catback exhaust, M6 conversion, MGW Shifter, GXP Diff 3.70

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm answering my own question. This is cut from a Hot Rod mag article about NA vs Blower cams. "The final cam we tested was the off-the-shelf, naturally aspirated cam offered by Comp Cams (PN 54-469-11). It offered a 0.617/0.624-inch lift split, a 231/247-degree duration split, and tighter 113-degree LSA. This combination produced 13 degrees of overlap, which brought the peak boost pressure down to just 14.8 psi. Compared to the LS9, the NA cam offered more power and less boost, with peaks of 758 hp and 681 lb-ft, but it was down (by 10 hp) compared to the dedicated blower cam. The tighter LSA offered more power up to 3,900 rpm and matched the output of the blower cam out to 5,400 rpm, but the blower cam pulled away after that. BTR's blower cam was obviously the hot ticket for this supercharged LSX, but the test showed that even the off-the-shelf NA cam worked pretty well—better than either of the factory offerings. With the cam swap a sure way to make more power with less boost, we now need to take a look at the as-cast cylinder heads. Check back with us when we find out if more head flow equals more power on a supercharged LSX."

Post Thanks / Like

Buy yourself an LS9 cam and some LS7 lifters and new trays.
    It will do everything you want it to do.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Example from my end

I have an L76 from a wreck with a used Magnusson heartbeat 2300 i am piecing together.

I was going to do an LS9 cam in my budget supercharged LS swap project beater because they are dirt cheap. But the engine already had a DOD delete and cam [which seems to be boost friendly to a degree and saves me money - i got lucky].

LS9 is a little more aggressive i think than the LSA counterpart when i reviewed the specs [lift, LSA, etc]. Budget oriented I'd stick with a factory LS9 unit, if you want to splurge there are a few boost specific cams like BTR or PatG spec that will suit it more aggressively in a G8.

The cam ends at your wallet to support to the swap haha. I plan to do a cam swap in my LS truck if i ever put the supercharger on it from the LS swap beater, LS9. I don't need wild
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T