Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for sub recommendations on stock amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for sub recommendations on stock amp

So I have finally decided to upgrade my speakers from the stock crap. I have been reading a lot of forums on recommendations for the 6 1/2's and I have found a bunch of people that are really happy with the Polk Audio DB651's so I just bought those today. I have also heard a lot of people are disconnecting the center speaker so I will also be doing that. I have no intentions on messing with the tweeters in the dash. So all that's left is the subs. I know its not ideal but I just wanna use the stock amp. I am not very savvy when it comes to electronics and I will be doing this myself so I have no interest of putting in an aftermarket amp. So question is what sub's do you recommend? I plan on taking out the stock subs and putting the new ones in their place. The only thing I know about the stock amp is that it pushes 40 wattsx2. I don't know what the ohm output is either. I kind of understand what ohm means and what it does but I don't know what subs to pair it with. If it pushes 2 ohm can I buy subs that are 4 or if it pushes 4 can I buy subs that only push 2......I listen to rock mostly so I don't need a loud thumping subs. I also do listen to my music pretty loud.

I've seen these subs on Crutchfield and it says they will fit the car. I see that one is 2 ohm and the other is 4.

Polk Audio DB 842DVC
    Polk audio DB 842SVC

Now I don't have to get these, its just what I have found that fit the G8's. I really appreciate any kind of advice and recommendations anyone has.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with a 2 ohm subwoofer. The amp won't be able to push much power through a 4 ohm sub, and would sound a lot quieter than the stock 2 ohm subs.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    Go with a 2 ohm subwoofer. The amp won't be able to push much power through a 4 ohm sub, and would sound a lot quieter than the stock 2 ohm subs.
    ^^ This.

I have the same POLKS.. Huge improvement. I have a set of infinities in the front doors and the polks in the back doors.
    The subs are polk. I'm a rock n roll guy myself and they work perfect!
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MongosG8 View Post
    ^^ This.

I have the same POLKS.. Huge improvement. I have a set of infinities in the front doors and the polks in the back doors.
    The subs are polk. I'm a rock n roll guy myself and they work perfect!
    What are the exact subs that you have and are yours running off the factory amp?

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Post Thanks / Like

Yes my subs are running off the factory amp.. I need to look at the ones I have. Its been a long time since I did this upgrade
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MongosG8 View Post
    Yes my subs are running off the factory amp.. I need to look at the ones I have. Its been a long time since I did this upgrade
    Awesome, THXS in advance!

I hate the fact that on the Crutchfield website all it has is the 3 subs and that's it. There has to be more than 3 subs out there that fit it the car.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The space for the magnet is kinda restricted by the sheet metal of the rear shelf. That is easy to address with pliers, but is probably why Crutchfield says many won't fit.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    The space for the magnet is kinda restricted by the sheet metal of the rear shelf. That is easy to address with pliers, but is probably why Crutchfield says many won't fit.
    Interesting..... design flaw maybe....

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really. They just didn't care about aftermarket subs apparently. The stock subs fit fine with their smallish magnets/basket. Most aftermarket subs are beefier, so you have to bend a little bit of sheet metal out of the way.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I'll make sure I have my pliers on standby during the install LOL I'm not looking forward to having to take out the back seat in order to do this though. This is my opinion was definitely a design flaw!!