Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for sub recommendations on stock amp

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

You use all 4 terminals of a DVC subwoofer. Connect the + wire to both plus terminals and the - wire to both negative terminals. Do the same for the other sub and 2nd set of wires.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    You use all 4 terminals of a DVC subwoofer. Connect the + wire to both plus terminals and the - wire to both negative terminals. Do the same for the other sub and 2nd set of wires.
    I got what your saying but I only have 2 wires per sub from the factory wiring so there for I can only hook up 1 terminal per sub. Its not one of those spring loaded terminals on the sub to where I could got from the factory wires to the one terminal and then run it to the 2nd.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Use some extra wire to connect the two + terminals together and connect the + wire from the amp to either one. Do the same for the -.

Or find a single voice coil 2 ohm sub to make it that much simpler.

Or maybe you should pay an installer.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Use some extra wire to connect the two + terminals together and connect the + wire from the amp to either one. Do the same for the -.

Or find a single voice coil 2 ohm sub to make it that much simpler.

Or maybe you should pay an installer.
    OK I got it. Needless to say I'm an idiot!!! Thanks for listening to me not knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you pick out a sub?

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Did you pick out a sub?
    So this is how my past week has gone. After taking out my back seat and deck (surprisingly easy) I pulled out the factory subs. I then looked at what all I needed and then headed to Home Depot to get some speaker wire, crimper tool, adapter connecters to connect the factory wire to the new wire and the little clips to connect the wire into the terminals. Got everything except the positive connecter for connecting the wire into the terminals. The guy that was helping me look for it said either Autozone or Ace Hardware should have it. So I went to Autozone first because it was close to the house. No luck. Hade the negative but not the positive.....Ace hardware it is. Nope they don't have it either. Now I don't know what to do. The guy recommends this audio store (kind of like a Car Toys but its just a guy with his own business) a couple miles away. So I head that way. In route and BOOM, cops pull me over for speeding. Now partially in my defense I thought the speed limit was 40 but it was actually 35 so no getting out of that one. So after driving around for the past 2 hours and not being able to find this one part and getting a speeding ticket I am fuming! I told myself that if get to this store and they don't have it I am just gonna give up . Thankfully they have it. So back to the house I go and thankfully no speeding ticket on the way back. So I got back to the house and started the project. After many attempts I finally get one side all connected and put the sub in only to find out it doesn't fit flush. OMG! Now I'm ready to drive this dam car of a bridge and say fuck it. So after all that I've gone thru I just walk away and say I will just try another day and figure out what subs fits. I get on the Crutchfield website and find out what fits my car. According to the website only 3 fit. The Polk Audio DB 842 DVC, Polk Audio DB 842 SVC and a Audiofrog GS8ND2. A brand I have never heard of. I found out that apparently they are a high end brand. They were $299 for 1 vs $79 for 1 so I went with the Polks. So they come in in a few days later. So I attempt to do it again. Before doing anything I check to make sure they fit and they do. So I get back into the truck to get the wire connected. After about and hour or so I finally get one connected. At least I though I did. I put in the subs and grab for the wire and boom....it comes apart. I just threw up my hands in the air and just said fuck it I'm done. So I call the guy that had the audio store and asked if he installed stereos ( figured he did but I just wanted to make sure) and he did. He told me to bring up my car so he could take a look at it and give me a quote on what the labor would be seeings as I had all the parts. He said $200. At this point I probably would have paid someone a $1000. But he did say that with the subs I got that there was no way they would work with the factory amp. And just as the labor cost I said I don't care. Just make it work. So I got a JL Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier, 500 W. He said that it would be more that powerful to run the subs. So they take the car back to do the install. Took about 2 hrs and they were done. The deck in the back rattled a bit so they put in some of the sound dampening stuff and they helped. So all done and it sounds really good. So I have made the decision that I will never again attempt any audio work on my own. NEVER! Now what's funny is that after the speeding ticket ($140) and buying all the equipment to attempt the project on my own, I spent around $200 and at that point I could have just spent that on the labor and all I would have had to do was buy the amp. What a mess. One last thing. Now just a few questions. I have seen a lot of people on the forums say that they disconnect the center speaker and it sounds better but the guy at the audio store recommend not to. What's your guys take. Also do the factory tweeter need to be replace or is it not gonna make much of a difference? And of course I will not being doing any of the work my self. LOL Last thing, I have seen the g8 designs dash kit but has anyone heard of a Aerpro double din install kit w/integrated HVAC Controls. I like the look of it a lot more then the G8 designs kit. THXS again for everyone on this thread for helping me out.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no real reason the stock amp couldn't power the 4 ohm DVC Polk sub. But I'm glad you got it all sorted out, and more power is always better!

Btw, Crutchfield's guide isn't always right. It influenced me to by some door speakers that did not fit a couple years ago. Which lead me to make a shelf system for the garage out of them, which is how I came to compare the stock subs to the Rockford sub.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

There's no real reason the stock amp couldn't power the 4 ohm DVC Polk sub. But I'm glad you got it all sorted out, and more power is always better!

Btw, Crutchfield's guide isn't always right. It influenced me to by some door speakers that did not fit a couple years ago. Which lead me to make a shelf system for the garage out of them, which is how I came to compare the stock subs to the Rockford sub.
    Good to know as far as the website is concerned. I would have to imagine that there's more than just 2 subs that fit. One thing to note is that if you remember at the beginning I didn't wanna do an amp because I didn't want it mounted in my trunk against the seat or something but they were actually able to tuck it away on the left side of the trunk behind the carpeting over where the battery is. Not right next to it but over there on the left side. So its tucked away just like the battery is so as far as you could tell I don't have an amp at all. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it an just put the factory stuff back in.