Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sub recommendations on stock amp

Post Thanks / Like

IM glad you figured out the issue with the door speakers. I had a similar issue and ended up soldering mine. As for the subs they are not Polk like I thought they were they are the Alpin 8 inch 2hm subs. They work great!

Im the type that likes quality of sound. I don't care how loud they go I just want quality. These were perfect. I think I paid 200 bucks for the pair.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

A 4 ohm sub will work, but all else equal will only be half as loud as the stock sub. I think you'd be pretty unhappy with it
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    A 4 ohm sub will work, but all else equal will only be half as loud as the stock sub. I think you'd be pretty unhappy with it
    So are you saying that due to them being 4 ohm they are gonna be worse then the stock subs???? I'm not looking for this massive improvement or anything, just something that sounds a little better. Its going off the factory amp so i'm not expecting a lot but I figured it would be at least a little better.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

They will be very quiet and you won't be happy.

Relevant equation:
    Power = voltage squared divided by resistance (p=v^2/r)

Resistance is the ohm value of the sub. The amp provides voltage in a way that is independent of the sub ohm value.

So a sub with twice the resistance will result in half the power.

Then there is sensitivity of the sub. It measures decibel output per watt. I think measured at one foot away, but not really relevant.

Subs are normally around 80 to 90 db per watt per foot.

Power is measured in watts.

Put it all together, a 4 ohm sub is a lot quieter than a 2 ohm sub and won't make much noise at all. Stock subs are 2 ohm. Get a 2 ohm sub so the volume level is about the same.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I should also have said, a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub will work like a 2 ohm sub.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

So I am returning the JBL's and just bought the Rockford Fosgate p3sd2-8 2-ohm DVC subs. I looked at a lot of reviews and these are ranked in the top 10 on several websites so hopefully these will work. If not then I give up. lol

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Red, manual, LT1-S Twin Disk Monster Clutch, CTS-V 19 inch wheels for that extra grip, cam, exhaust and headers. 451 RWHP 1 of 61

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. A 2 ohm DVC sub will act like either a 1 ohm or 4 ohm sub. I would bet the amp won't handle a 1 ohm sub very well.

I linked the 4 ohm DVC version above. DVC means dual voice coil. When you wire it all up, the resistance (aka impedance) is either twice or half the value. A little confusing, I know, but it gives options for those that change things around. You maybe could just wire one of the voice coils to have a 2 ohm setup, but I don't know if that is recommended. It's also a waste of a voice coil.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    Ok. A 2 ohm DVC sub will act like either a 1 ohm or 4 ohm sub. I would bet the amp won't handle a 1 ohm sub very well.

I linked the 4 ohm DVC version above. DVC means dual voice coil. When you wire it all up, the resistance (aka impedance) is either twice or half the value. A little confusing, I know, but it gives options for those that change things around. You maybe could just wire one of the voice coils to have a 2 ohm setup, but I don't know if that is recommended. It's also a waste of a voice coil.
    OMG!!! I am so confused......I have no idea what I am suppose to get then. Not 4 ohm but not 2 ohm either. I though 2 ohm was what I was suppose to get.......my brain is fried.......What did you mean by "you linked the 4 ohm DVC version above". The JBL's are single, not DVC.
    Last edited by SpeedDemon G8 GXP; 01-19-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I linked the 4 ohm dual voice coil version of the Rockford Fosgate 2 ohm DVC version you bought. Here it is again.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-Complete.html

You need 2 ohms total resistance/impedance per speaker. So that means a 2 ohm single voice coil sub, or a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub. Dual voice coil means there are two coils of the listed ohms. It will have 4 terminals instead of the 2 terminals a single coil sub would have. Wire each one parallel and the amp will see the 2 ohm load that will work best.

When you have 2 voice coils, the result is half the listed resistance if you wire them in parallel. 4/2 = 2. You might have to Google it and watch some YouTube on wiring a DVC subwoofer. It is not hard, just takes a couple extra minutes.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I think I know what you mean now. I looked at the stock subs and there are only 2 wires. Obviously a positive and negative. If I get a DVC 4 ohm sub and there are 4 terminals how do I wire that to the existing wires that are there, Just one positive and one negative? Remember I am only using the stock amp. Or do to the fact that I am going to be using the stock amp and the existing wires, which are only 2, means that I can only do a single SVC speaker?