Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Leaking oil pain

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaking oil pain

I have an 09 GT with about 157,000 miles on it. Car runs OK, but has seen better days. I've had three different mechanics say that I have a leaking oil pan gasket and have no doubt that it needs to be done.

The quote I've received was about $900, which seems in line with what I've found through research. I could afford to fix it, but things are a bit tight after other expenses have come up. Plus, I'm willing to bet that it will be recommended that I replace the motor mounts at the same time and I'm imagining it's not gonna be cheap.
    I can't do it myself for a variety of reasons and so my only real option is to pay to have it done.

My question is what is the harm to waiting for awhile to get it done beyond leaking oil? I've been told by the latest guy who couldn't do it anyway that it's "pretty bad", who does drive through oil changes.

Also, as far as mileage goes on there engines, am I on borrowed time? Will something else big come up soon?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Ken
    Magnaflow Cat back 16795
    Roto Fab CAI and radiator cover
    E&G screens front and back
    Pedders Street II drop kit
    Front and Back Sway bars
    VIM with back up camera
    DVD player
    Carbon fiber interior kit
    Holden steering wheel and matching shifter control
    Holden Sunshade

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see a big RED flag on not fixing the leak except having to keep checking your oil level and the mess that will be on the bottom of the car. As long as you don't drive on low oil, the only issue I can think of it the mess under the car you will have. But it you drive with low oil, you will really start to mess things up. Being that you have so many miles on the engine already, it will only make things worse quicker.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I don't really see a big RED flag on not fixing the leak except having to keep checking your oil level and the mess that will be on the bottom of the car. As long as you don't drive on low oil, the only issue I can think of it the mess under the car you will have. But it you drive with low oil, you will really start to mess things up. Being that you have so many miles on the engine already, it will only make things worse quicker.
    Thank you. Amazingly, this car has never burned oil and still runs strong. Now that this is going on, I will be checking oil more often and carrying oil. I havent noticed huge oil spots in the ground yet. But, it is leaking slightly.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Ken
    Magnaflow Cat back 16795
    Roto Fab CAI and radiator cover
    E&G screens front and back
    Pedders Street II drop kit
    Front and Back Sway bars
    VIM with back up camera
    DVD player
    Carbon fiber interior kit
    Holden steering wheel and matching shifter control
    Holden Sunshade

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the oil level and see how much is actually loses, and adjust accordingly.

Unless the pan has a crack or other issue
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T