Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Hard hot start

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard hot start

I recently had a p0128 code thrown after a couple days of lower than normal engine temps. The code was 1st thrown in the same drive cycle that began with the first appearance of long crank slow starts that only happen when the engine is warm.

I replaced the thermostat and the code has not come back. The long slow warm start persists, however.

The battery was replaced a few years ago. I don't have any other symptoms of possible voltage issues. I can check the ground stud by the battery easy enough.

The starter is original. It starts normally when cold. I am intending to get under it and check starter connections this weekend.

Is there anything else I can look for?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can always take the starter out and have it repaired if it is found to have a fault in the solenoid

Check the battery connections, connections at the starter etc otherwise - all of those can contribute to a slow start.

It could be the heat has caused an issue internal to the solenoid or the wiring even. The starters are fairly simple to service [or replace] at a local shop. Some can't be rebuilt internally, i don't recall off hand anymore which starter we have anymore. But you can R&R a solenoid.

I'd probably check the basics at wiring [positive and ground] connections. Have you tested the battery itself?

Check voltage drop across the wiring? Check the main distribution underhood
    Last edited by MIEngineer; 04-07-2020 at 06:00 AM.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T