Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Clockspring acting up....is Tech-II SAS reset required after replacement?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clockspring acting up....is Tech-II SAS reset required after replacement?

It all began over a year ago, when I replaced the engine, had the steering shaft disconnected from the rack, and turned the steering wheel to check clearances on something. When it came back together, I had a code that the steering angle sensor needed calibration. Pretty much ignored it for a year, and it would alarm every time I started the car, turning off stability/traction control (but not ABS).

Fast forward to a month or so ago, when I had to pull the header to repair it. I decided to GENTLY move the steering wheel from lock to lock, to ensure that I had it properly lined up and centered, before reattaching the shaft. To my surprise, the SAS alarm went away!

As the weeks have progressed, I began to notice that my steering wheel control functionality was going away, or intermittent at best. Scroll wheels for volume and channel selection work all of the time, but wheel press for mute and select no longer work, and the call start/end and DIC menu/Source buttons no longer function, when the interior is hot, after sitting in the sun at work all day.

When I jump in the car in the garage, in the morning, which cools down overnight from the A/C in the house (no, there's not a vent, but the unit is just on the other side of the door to the garage), every button works fine.

Obvious to me that heat is causing the contacts inside the coil to deflect and lose contact. I'm very familiar with rotary joint operation (RF antennas used to be a big part of my life).

Least expensive one I've found from someone I trust doing business with, is $370.

My question is - does the SAS need a recalibration with a Tech-II after installation of a new SR coil/clockspring installation? I've seen answers both ways, just looking for clarification.

TIA!
    '09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
    LS3, with LSA Blower, ACE ported heads, BTR springs and retainers, Straub trunnion upgrade, RCR cam, Kooks LTs/mids, Hooker SS MaxFlow mufflers.
    BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizers, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links/trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit (getting replaced with PPV/Tiens shortly), including subframe and diff bushings.
    PowerStop pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid (really needs a flush/bleed).

Post Thanks / Like

I have similar issues but I think mine is due purely to age and heat.

I too see different reports on Steering wheel angle sensor re-alignment and reset. I don't think the steering wheel angle sensors is attached or fed through the clockspring device.

But I could see bumping the sensor when you remove it. I think if the clockspring is replaced - see what you get without doing the alignment process. And worse case - have it recalibrated. Yes you do seem to need either the tech2 or newer device or some equivalent device to do the recalibration.

I'm looking into if the SCANTOOL XL software will do the job. If so that's probably the cheapest option. Otherwise find a shop that is shadetree friendly with a snap on or other tool to do thejob for you. would be my other guess.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It was my understanding that it was required after a clockspring swap. Both from the dealer and hearsay on the forum. Could both have been wrong? Yeah. The dealer didn't charge a whole lot to do it though.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I have similar issues but I think mine is due purely to age and heat.

I too see different reports on Steering wheel angle sensor re-alignment and reset. I don't think the steering wheel angle sensors is attached or fed through the clockspring device.

But I could see bumping the sensor when you remove it. I think if the clockspring is replaced - see what you get without doing the alignment process. And worse case - have it recalibrated. Yes you do seem to need either the tech2 or newer device or some equivalent device to do the recalibration.

I'm looking into if the SCANTOOL XL software will do the job. If so that's probably the cheapest option. Otherwise find a shop that is shadetree friendly with a snap on or other tool to do thejob for you. would be my other guess.
    Why not go with the software GM dealerships use?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074365Q6H/

This is cheap and uses Tech2win which is GM's Tech 2 emulation on a computer (yes, it works on a 64-bit system).

I setup a new BCM in my vehicle using tis2web and this box (I bought the Wi-Fi version but it also works wired). I was also able to relearn the brake pedal position, clutch pedal position, activate ABS, etc., all using GM software.
    2009 LR G8 GXP - M6, Roof, Onyx/Red Interior

Post Thanks / Like

is tech2win free? Seems my module would work with that too if it works off wifi or bt.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    is tech2win free? Seems my module would work with that too if it works off wifi or bt.
    It's not free.

It comes with that hardware from the Amazon link.
    2009 LR G8 GXP - M6, Roof, Onyx/Red Interior