Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo........Thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo........Thoughts

Next year when I get my bonus I am thinking about putting on one of these. Just not sure which one. It's not a daily driver. I maybe put 50 miles a month on it. I may take it to the track 3 or 4 times a year. Whats everyone's thoughts........THXS

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    Sports Red Metallic
    M6, black leather and sunroof. 1 of only 61 made in that configuration #1063
    CTS-V Wheels 19x9.5 (want that extra grip)
    Rotofab CAI
    Stage 2 Cam
    Headers & Exhaust (with cats & a muffler delete kit) So its loud as hell
    519 hp at the crank 451 hp to the ground

Nothin but a large rock in a small pond

Post Thanks / Like

If not a daily, turbo will get you the most bang for your buck. Whether you should single or twin it however... I'll let those that did either or both chime in. Not sure how the packaging under the hood or elsewhere can work for that.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Always been happy with supercharger, but can appreciate the others. Never had twins, but have had factory single turbo setups.
    Forced induction is your friend
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind if you plan to add any of these, you better be prepared to upgrade the rest of the drive train as well. If you plan to drag race the car with any type of sticky tires to optimize your ET, you will need a good clutch, a stronger driveshaft, a stronger differential, and stronger axles. You could do like me, and just replace these things as they break, but it makes better sense to strengthen things right in the first place. I feel this advice applies to anyone who is making over 500 HP in a manual GXP. I am only speaking from personal experience after going thru 2 clutches, 2 diffs, a twisted axle, and a split gas tank. You will enjoy racing your GXP more by doing as I say, and not as I did, LOL!
    Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer
    2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune 12.191 @ 112.35, 2:59 Second Lap Time Road America (Goodyear RS-As & Hawk HP Plus pads with stock rotors), 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the turbo more than the supercharger due to the fact that I don't wanna put to much wear and tear on the engine and have to do all of what bracketracer said I would need to do. I want a little fun but nothing to hard. This is a car I plan on keeping forever. I know a supercharger is more for the drag strip and that's not something I will be doing. I don't plan on doing it to take it to the track but more for the fun of having it. Doing the whole forced induction thing I figured would be much less stress on the engine or do you guys think it still puts to much stress on the car? With only putting 40 or so miles on the car a month I would think it would be ok. It seems these days that they are starting to put these turbos in combination with 4 and 6 cylinders right out of the factory so it would seem that it would be ok to do........

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    Sports Red Metallic
    Rotofab CAI
    Stage 2 Cam

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie drives like a stocker if you’re not in boost, you’d never know it was there, and roll on power is very controllable. I just putt around most of the time.
    Putting the boots to it is a different story, especially if you’re on street tires...
    Listen to bracketracer
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

I don't plan or dragging or racing the car so I am thinking I should not have to replace all of those other parts. Or at least I hope. lol I have to say I have never heard of anyone splitting their gas tank due to racing their car. All I can say is that's some crazy power. Something I have no interest in. lol My driving style will be more like tchr49. Just putt around town.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    Sports Red Metallic
    Rotofab CAI
    Stage 2 Cam

Post Thanks / Like

I've had all 3. High Compression NA motor.
    Turbo and LSA.
    I liked the all motor comments when someone got gapped.
    I loved the turbo for it's brutal boost. Too much heat, yeah, fire too.
    LSA was the cleanest build and looked factory.
    If I could have gone with under mount twin turbos I would do that for sure.

Gforce axles and a great RCR tune kept my transmission alive.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin L. View Post
    I don't plan or dragging or racing the car so I am thinking I should not have to replace all of those other parts. Or at least I hope. lol I have to say I have never heard of anyone splitting their gas tank due to racing their car. All I can say is that's some crazy power. Something I have no interest in. lol My driving style will be more like tchr49. Just putt around town.
    I had some very sticky drag radials, and was launching the car at 4500-5000 rpm. This twisted the car so hard, so many times, that a seam on the plastic gas tank finally gave out. BTW, I don't recommend anyone else splitting their gas tanks. There are no new ones left in the US, and it took getting 2 different used ones before we got one good enough to use.
    Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer
    2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune 12.191 @ 112.35, 2:59 Second Lap Time Road America (Goodyear RS-As & Hawk HP Plus pads with stock rotors), 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Maggie 2300 and love the instantaneous power when desired. It’s brutal though. I’ve built my tranny and installed gforce axles. Still running the stock diff, though I know it’s only a matter of time since I like to run the 1/8 and 1/4 tracks.
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.