Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Not going into 5th gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not going into 5th gear

So here is my problem. If i'm driving under normal conditions I have no problem but if I decide to punch it, lets say i'm in 2nd or 3rd gear, once I'm in 4th and its time to go to 5th, it won't go. I'm able to pull it out of 4th but its like it hits a wall when i'm trying to put into 5th. No grinding or anything like that. It just straight up won't go. I can't go into 6th either. Now once the RPM's drop then I can go into 5th. And like I said this is only when i'm flooring it. Is there some kind of limiter on how high the RPM's can go when shifting into certain gears or something....I'm not the greatest when it comes to knowledge about cars. Anyone have any idea whats going on because its driving me nuts!

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    Sports Red Metallic
    M6, black leather and sunroof. 1 of only 61 made in that configuration #1063
    CTS-V Wheels 19x9.5 (want that extra grip)
    Rotofab CAI
    Stage 2 Cam
    Headers & Exhaust (with cats & a muffler delete kit) So its loud as hell
    519 hp at the crank 451 hp to the ground

Nothin but a large rock in a small pond

Post Thanks / Like

I’m no pro, but it sounds like syncros.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

Can you cycle through all the gears in neutral?
    Try double clutching into 5th or 6th?
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the GXP , but could it be in the tune or settings from GM, like they do on the Camaro and Vette, to have skip shift under certain acceleration?

Post Thanks / Like

When I am in neutral I can cycle through all the gears no problem and when I am driving at just average speeds there's no problem as well. Just when I step on it. When I got the car tuned after I put on my mods the guy got rid of the skip shift. Are the syncros expensive to replace? I'm guessing you would have to get inside the transmission and i'm guessing that's probably expensive. I haven't tried double clutching it. That may work but either way I wanna find the real problem. Go idea to try for now though.
    Last edited by Dustin L.; 05-28-2019 at 06:13 PM.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
    Sports Red Metallic
    M6, black leather and sunroof. 1 of only 61 made in that configuration #1063
    CTS-V Wheels 19x9.5 (want that extra grip)
    Rotofab CAI
    Stage 2 Cam
    Headers & Exhaust (with cats & a muffler delete kit) So its loud as hell
    519 hp at the crank 451 hp to the ground

Nothin but a large rock in a small pond

Post Thanks / Like

First off, have you checked the fluid? However, if it is the syncros, then the transmission has to come out.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this Dustin L., but what you describe sounds exactly like what I experienced when I toasted the synchros in my transmission while it was still under warranty. The transmission had to come out, and the synchros had to be replaced. They weren't cheap, but I was lucky that GM paid for it. If it is the synchros, this problem will only get worse the more you drive it. My recommendation is to deal with it as soon as you can before more damage can occur.

P.S. please check your notifications. I sent you a Private Message with info on your car and questions.

Thanks!
    Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer
    2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune 12.191 @ 112.35, 2:59 Second Lap Time Road America (Goodyear RS-As & Hawk HP Plus pads with stock rotors), 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.