Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: New after market oil pressure gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Default New after market oil pressure gauge

I'm looking for some advice on installing an after market oil pressure gauge on my GT. Ideas for what is needed, and likely placement?

Thanks,
    Bob N
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, you need to tap into where the oil pressure sender is. It allows you to keep the current oil pressure and add a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
    I bought one from CP a few years back for my GT and never put it on. We put one on Travis Gore's GT.
    PM me.
    I had actually planned on putting it on eBay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by -Ray-; 05-17-2019 at 02:40 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask why - it's reported in the computer. If for some reason the computer sees 0 pressure (actually I think it's limit is less than 10) then the computer shuts down the engine or aborts start up. If your concern is having a seperate reading - different animal but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

otherwise like ray said the easy answer would be to tap in where the factory sensor is located. I can't recall where that is exactly.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Napalm,

I had no idea the computer would know about the oil pressure. When I bought the car, the first owner had removed all the "Star Wars" gauge, and had a GPS installed in its place. I've been bothered about not having an oil pressure gauge for the past 9 years. LOL
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I have to ask why - it's reported in the computer. If for some reason the computer sees 0 pressure (actually I think it's limit is less than 10) then the computer shuts down the engine or aborts start up. If your concern is having a seperate reading - different animal but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

otherwise like ray said the easy answer would be to tap in where the factory sensor is located. I can't recall where that is exactly.
    It's in the back of the intake manifold.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have tuning software or plan to.

but even on a simple system - with my Blue tooth OBD connector - and an app on my mobile - I see what the computer sees mostly. There are more settings I can get to on my laptop obviously.

But I routinely monitor my Oil Temp, Coolant temp, Trans temp, Commanded Voltage (replaced the alternator last summer), Revs, throttle position, Oil pressure, and IAT and Outside air temp (this is the air temp as reported by the AC unit)

I bought a more expensive OBD module as I keep it pluged in and I don't like the idea of a cheapo 5 dollar thing plugged into my computer. (odd I know)

but there are others ranging between 5 and 50 dollars. Mine was 80 I think. OBDLInk MX. I keep it plugged in, they update the firmware on occasion - and to connects quickly.

There are numbers of other things you can find. TOrque Pro is what I use on the phone, but there are other apps.

Also if you do tuning - and are new to HPTuners. Their new kit now comes with the MVPI2 - which is a wireless module. I'm thinking about upgrading the one I have.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes