Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: steering wheel controls stopped working

Post Thanks / Like

Early one there were a number of people that had clocksprings fail - it was even a semi-common occurrence on the GTO too.

say maybe 5% of the builds. anyway in some cases it broke with steering wheel swaps - so installer care issues. and in some the just failed relatively young. The part is apparently fragile.

It is a wear item of sorts considering inside you have wires that run on a set of conductor rings - one loses contact or breaks off, or they short across - and you'll lose function.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Cyclic failure of a weak design or poor quality control. It seems more common with our cars than others. I'd never heard of a clockspring failure before mine did, and there have been a number of others post about it as well.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cars are over 10 years old. Things will happen. Not much else to really do unfortunately.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Of the things I've replaced so far I'm not overly worried about them. I mean 167K and 9 years on the alternator, 168K and 10 on the starter. OK I'd good with that.

still a slightly miffed about the lifter failure but I still got more than most out of mine.

This one bothers me a touch mostly because it's tied to a required safety feature and is not really a wear item in my opinion. But still 10 years is a long time.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Of the things I've replaced so far I'm not overly worried about them. I mean 167K and 9 years on the alternator, 168K and 10 on the starter. OK I'd good with that.

still a slightly miffed about the lifter failure but I still got more than most out of mine.

This one bothers me a touch mostly because it's tied to a required safety feature and is not really a wear item in my opinion. But still 10 years is a long time.
    My lifters went in the mid 20s, with the problem being worse before that but they wouldn't touch it at the time!
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is exhibiting similar issues. First, the right scroll button press wouldn't mute the radio. Then, the place and end call buttons were intermittent. Last week, the left scroll button press wouldn't function, and the select menu for the DIC and Source buttons stopped working, but both scrolling buttons continue to function.

Calling Pace in the AM to see how long and how much. I may add steering wheel paddles while it's all apart.

And, yes, our cars are now 10+ years old, and things like this are expected, but at some points, parts will no longer be available. I figure I'll enjoy the car one more year or so, then sell it, and, unfortunately, move on.

I still freaking love this car....bought it new, blew up the engine at 94k miles, replaced it with a 2015 200-mile pull out Camaro LS3, and put an LSA blower on it, with a lot of other items. Going to be difficult to replace without spending a lot more money...