Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Know absolutely nothing-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Know absolutely nothing-

Hi-

My wife is refusing to drive a 1997 Volvo 960, which my Dad bought off lease with 30K or so on it- and he and I have pushed it to 192K, but I can't really blame her. The car hates her. I had two light bulbs burn out today at different times on the same three bulb fixture. It was down from August the October with a succession of issues that flowed from each other - but what can I say? (To the wife, who doesn't care about anything except the power seat doesn't move smoothly.)

It hurts- the car is basically running better than it has since I got it, with the repairs.

Let me add- A&P mechanic, other car is 2001 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel; with a '67 Mustang in work.

So today, I was leafing through the Consumer Reports Used car guide and the the G8 showed up with the highest owner satisfaction for a 10 year old big Sedan. Rear wheel drive. Is a base model the car to get for local family stuff? There's an add for one up in Connecticut about $7K.

Not needed for work, we both commute into New York.

David

Post Thanks / Like

You've come to the right place to learn something.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxomlong View Post
    Hi-

My wife is refusing to drive a 1997 Volvo 960, which my Dad bought off lease with 30K or so on it- and he and I have pushed it to 192K, but I can't really blame her. The car hates her. I had two light bulbs burn out today at different times on the same three bulb fixture. It was down from August the October with a succession of issues that flowed from each other - but what can I say? (To the wife, who doesn't care about anything except the power seat doesn't move smoothly.)

It hurts- the car is basically running better than it has since I got it, with the repairs.

Let me add- A&P mechanic, other car is 2001 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel; with a '67 Mustang in work.

So today, I was leafing through the Consumer Reports Used car guide and the the G8 showed up with the highest owner satisfaction for a 10 year old big Sedan. Rear wheel drive. Is a base model the car to get for local family stuff? There's an add for one up in Connecticut about $7K.

David
    Go for a V8 vs the V6 - better resale and some other freebies with the V8.

Either is fine as long as maintenance is up and done - timing bits on the V6, common lifter issues on the V8 after a period of time / higher miles it seems [if they werent done early under warranty].

Nothing wrong with the 960 as it is, 97 or so is the last of that platform. Sedan or wagon? I mean its over 20 years old...not a big deal to have some issues.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxomlong View Post
    Hi-

David
    Agree with others, get the V8. Standard LSD, gets nearly the same MPG as the V6 (only 1mpg less city), better interior equip (as far as that will get you on a 11 or 10 year old car).
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Ditto on the GT!
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

I own a GT so of course recommend it’s the way to go.

That said, I actually drove a V6 as a rental...it was a fine car so if you are set on the base model please look into its history!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PBM #608 of 888 -- All Stock!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in 09 was looking at G8s on the dealers lots. Was considering a V6 but the wife said "What! Are you nuts?"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and all the info you will need. Get the GT. You will love the V8.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Go for the V8, Nothing better then a V8 anytime so much you can do to the engine
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here