Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Best Headlight bulbs for stock system?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Headlight bulbs for stock system?

G8 Team,

When I bought my 2008 G8 GT in 2011, someone had installed an HID system. It was 'ok', but I got stuck in a situation and had to have them all removed and stock installed.

The stock low beams are dangerously dim, no exaggeration. The high beams are friggin' amazing. The installation was done at a dealership about 5 years ago, but the low beams have always been dim since then.

My question to you all....what headlights could I buy at my local Autozone/O'riellys/Advance/Walmart/Napa that would be a noticeable positive improvement on whatever bulbs the dealership would have installed?

Your input is MUCH appreciated as this has been on my list for years now.....

Thank you!

BamaZ28

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Something sounds not-right about what was put in as stock when it was demodded. I thought the stock low beams we're pretty darn good. I did change to some LEDs for the look, and they are pretty good too, but I haven't seen them on Amazon in a while. There are Philips bulbs that are upgraded H11s, I can't think of what they are called at the moment.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing you will probably find at a local store, IMO, would probably be Sylvania Silver Star Ultra. Not cheap, probably gonna run around $35 each.
    --Brian--

GODSPEED CHARLIE!!! R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Best thing you will probably find at a local store, IMO, would probably be Sylvania Silver Star Ultra. Not cheap, probably gonna run around $35 each.

Been my experience that Ultras do not have a good track record when used in systems that use DRL’s.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the Ultras have a shorter life than the regular SilverStars which are shorter lived than regular halogens. So went the regular SilverStars which have better output than the stock halogens.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ultras seem to last about six months. One will go, and then the other. They are super good about warranty though.
    If you can get at the light easy, maybe you want to put up with the hassle. If you have a front bumper removal to replace a bulb, stay clear.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

In my G8 i bought Bulbs from Ebay. Itīs a dealer named " argocity". They have lots of bulbs. Standard bulbs with xenon gas and 100watt. I have all weather rainbow bulbs. I think, light is much brighter than normal bulbs. I have it too now in my winter car. Itīs a Kia Sorento. More light too. Only, the shine changes from pink in the middle, to green and white outside on the road. - But it looks good.