Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold startup valvetrain noise

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I still have AFM on my G8 and I replaced my AFM and standard lifters with new GM afm lifters and GM LS7 lifters and I am still having the same problems that you are describing. I am wondering about pushrod length now but since the lifter swap didn't change the sound, I am stuck. As you mentioned in another thread, piston slap is a possibility but it seems somewhat unusual as when I had the heads off, the cylinders were still crosshatched and immaculate and the pistons didn't wiggle in the bores.

Post Thanks / Like

So I forgot to update this and it's been quite a year.

However - the noise I have I traced down last summer to the alternator bracket. I know it's crazy. but I also replaced the alternator some time after doing the DOD delete and cam. Upon replacement there is a bracked with a press in rubber bush and sleeve. to get the old alternator out you more our less have to pry it off as the bolts tighten they compress the sleeve and rubber into the mount hole on the alternator.

So pry the old out - new free falls in place sort of. What I was supposed to do is press the old bushes back in with tool _________, or in other words double nut a bolt, with some large washers and turn it backwards to push the bushes back out.

Or according to others I should have just ordered a new bracket. which is 30 dollars it seems.

ANYWAY - long story longer I tried multiple times to reset the bushes and still when cold enough - clacketa claketa . . . . warm up goes away. New bracked with new bushes - reinstall - silence.

That was until yesterday but that's going to be a new thread with a new problem.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

What’s up??
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
    What’s up??
    Nothing too exciting at the moment? Same old, same old I guess?

Napalm: Thanks for that insight. I have the original alternator as far as I can tell but I will still need to check that out on a warmer day.