Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: AC Condenser lower freon fitting corroded/welded on

Post Thanks / Like

Default AC Condenser lower freon fitting corroded/welded on

Was wondering if anyone else had this problem, or maybe someone has some advice. Sorry for the long thread...

Im in the middle of doing a cam and LSA install/swap on my 09.5 GXP M6. Have a killerchiller but will be updating to a Frostbite chiller(about to order it). So I decided to remove the ac condenser during the cam swap(also have a new spare condenser I wanted to install), the top suction line fitting came off fairly easily. Although the entire bolt+nut unscrewed from the condenser, instead of just the nut. I noticed some corrosion on the smooth part of that bolt once it was off.

The bottom liquid line fitting nut came off ok. But the fitting itself will not budge, it looks like theres so much corrosion between the bolt/fitting that its basically welded on. I tried soaking it in PB Blaster and scraping away some of the corrosion with a small flat head. After several hrs I got a couple mm's of corrosion out but didnt help a bit. I have tried prying it off 10 different ways, heated the bolt a bit, grabbed it with pliers etc... Also tried attaching a very small socket to the end of the bolt to break it loose, wont budge.

Then I decided to remove the entire liquid line running to the expansion valve along with the condenser thinking it would make things easier. I removed the lines from the exp. valve and the high side hose clamps the low side onto it with a U. But I cant slide the low side line out of the U its too thick!

This is on a 2009.5 GXP M6 125k miles

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so the fitting was definitely completely corroded! I tried using two bolts and lock them onto the stud in order to twist it, no go. Then I finally decided to tighten the original bolt as tight as I could get it and the stud snapped a few mm past the nut which finally let the fitting come off... Dont even want to say how long it took to get this damn fitting off!!!

If anyone has any idea why this happened I would like to know, cant imagine Im the only one with this problem?
    Here are some pics, enjoy

IMG_20181005_010740.jpg

IMG_20181005_010834.jpg

IMG_20181005_011022.jpg

IMG_20181005_011116.jpg

IMG_20181005_011150.jpg

IMG_20181005_005138.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

How close to the ocean are you? Salt does this.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    How close to the ocean are you? Salt does this.
    I live right on the ocean. This car was purchased in Apr. so only about 6mths in this climate. Spent most of its life in TX. I installed a MGW shifter right after purchasing the car and the clips holding the shifter arms were corroded a bit, but nothing like this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at a '72 Ranchero years back. It was in Carlsbad, just a few miles from the coast. The rust was so deep it wasn't even worth saving. I just cleaned up my G8 so the buyer can pick it up today. I didn't have any corrosion that was visible.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.