Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Manual Trans Conversion nearly complete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Manual Trans Conversion nearly complete

I finally started this project last week. All is going well. To get it started I flashed the revised tune and removed the BCM and mailed to Chris White to work his magic. First job was removing the brake master cylinder and brake booster to drill the holes in the firewall and install the clutch pedal. That was not nearly as bad as I expected. Had to remove all the plastic under the dash to make room. I also measured and cut the original brake pedal pad (metal) to fit a clutch rubber. It worked perfect. Then started the fun stuff. Removed the exhaust. I have the Kooks mid-length headers so I didn't need to remove them since they are not in the way. Removed the starter, shifter, disconnected the wires and dropped the auto trans.

That was day one. Day two started with replacing the engine harness with the GXP version. That was a PIA. Lots of connectors and routing. But it's in and looks good and everything had a home. The difference between the two harnesses is the GXP does not have the connector for the DOD and the starter solenoid wire has a plastic connector, I guess for another wire that would then bolt to the starter. Whereas the standard harness just bolts to the starter. And, of course, it has the specific wires and connectors for the manual trans.

Next up was the new flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. I'm using the factory parts for the LS-7. Then installed my shifter. I'm using the short throw, flat stick MGW unit with a white cue ball, of course. Got to respect the old school! And it matches the look I had with my 69 Firebird (455 with Muncie 4-speed). Then in went the new trans. Piece of cake other than dropping the damn thing on my arm at one point. Thought I broke my freaking arm!

And that brings me to today. On the list today is finish wiring the new trans, cooling lines, clutch hydraulic lines, button up the brake booster and master cylinder, bleed them, and then drop the differential and install the GXP unit with 3.70 gears.

All in all, this has not been any more difficult than the trans and clutch jobs I've done on old muscle cars since I was a kid. Obviously, lots of electronics involved now but this is fairly straight forward. I've spent probably about $7,500 when you consider everything. And that includes HPTuners, custom tune, sensors, and other odd ball stuff I've had to buy.
    Last edited by deb0650; 09-23-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT, VMS 1.5 DoD Delete and Tunes, Vararam CAI, Kooks Mid-length Headers, AEM Wide Band O2, high-flow cats, Corsa Catback exhaust, M6 conversion, MGW Shifter, GXP Diff 3.70

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, you're getting it done pretty quickly. I hope you got a speed bleeder for the slave cylinder. Makes the bleeding process so much easier, you don't even have to get under the car.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
    -Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, 3.91 1LE diff, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. Speed bleeder is in! I don't have any friends to press the pedal for me. Got to look out for myself! :-)
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT, VMS 1.5 DoD Delete and Tunes, Vararam CAI, Kooks Mid-length Headers, AEM Wide Band O2, high-flow cats, Corsa Catback exhaust, M6 conversion, MGW Shifter, GXP Diff 3.70

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be your friend if you do mine....
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it's going well.
    I messaged you on all the questions. Sorry I don't visit the site often these days.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Buttoned everything back up. It started! I have an airbag fault that should go away when I relearn the brakes. Couldn't drive it because I still need to bleed the brakes. But ready to go!