Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Repair advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Repair advice?

Heavy foot and clumsy reaction resulted in mishap with some damage to underside front on drivers side. Pics below. Resources are limited at present and I’d like to avoid big repair costs if at all possible. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who knows what they’re looking at. Should I straighten this out as best I can myself, or am I asking for trouble by not taking it to a shop?
    0DFCC5FF-46C3-4200-A56E-E86B207B9E4C.jpeg7651656E-7478-419E-B007-B3E7E2A4DDB5.jpeg

Note: damage is on drivers side. Passenger side pic provided for reference
    Last edited by Dunbar; 09-19-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pull front clip off, radiator out, and beat on that mount with a large sledgehammer until it resembles the passenger side. Its not structural, just holds radiator in place.
    09 SBM G8

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have no experience with body/chassis work but I’m always willing to have a go at anything that needs doing (youtube is a beautiful thing). Some outside input is a big help. 👍

Post Thanks / Like

I'd need to go look under my car to verify the other attachments but that piece is too shaped just to be there for a radiator support. not the depth of the dome and that's is 2 or more layers laminated.

in the driver side pic is that your front clip laying on the ground in the background. Did it break all the way off?

I is the radiator leaking and did any hose break? Just curious on that part. Sucks but it happens. On the surface I don't see much wrong as it sits but my concern would be that the force to bend that piece is substantial. I'd want to do some detailed inspections around the area to see if other pieces are broken or damage like that AC hose for example.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Napalm. Front popped off on drivers side but luckily no damage to cosmetics or clips/tab holes on bumper cover. No radiator leaks, no rubbing or rattling, driven afterwards without issue. I appreciate the input. It would be wise to look for surrounding/related damage.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you might have gotten lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky-ish. Good advice to look deeper.
    After more disassembly and examination I'm finding one little thing after another that, when added together, really should be addressed. A crack here, a small break there, etc mean I'll end up replacing the Radiator Support. The saga will continue. Experience suggests that I'll probably find something new each time I dig a little deeper. Yippee.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not though -

If nothing else - make a list and rank things by importance and you might be surprised how minor things are. Worst thing is probably fixing the facia and maybe the radiator support. That crack you find could be welded. (well I didn't see it so I'm assuming here).

but the suspension connections didn't move and aren't damage - the airbags didn't pop - the frame is fine etc.