Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Tail light defects?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail light defects?

I ordered these "genuine GM" tail lights from an online source that claims to only sell genuine GM parts and this is what they sent me. These have this really heavy bead of uneven glue inside where the clear lens is bonded to the housing. my original lights have glue here also but it's much thinner, neater and far less noticeable.

I was wondering if anyone else here has seen this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RuLEoF2; 08-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I feel they're not new and these were once used resealed lights
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

So, I got some bad news, for me at least.

I contacted another GM parts seller. This one is on eBay that says they are based at an actual GM dealership so their stuff comes straight from GM. I asked them for their dealership info to certify that they are legit.

Anyway... the bad news is that their tail lights look the same way (photo attached). The guy said that he pulled it from their on-hand inventory and opened the box himself. He even sent the attached photo of the box labels to show that it was genuine GM.

Tail_light_from_modernautonet.com_01.jpg Tail_light_from_modernautonet.com_02.jpg Tail_light_from_modernautonet.com_03.jpg
    Current:

Previous:

Post Thanks / Like

Like many companies, they change Manufacturers. I’d bet that that’s what’s happened here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're on the subject of f'd-up tail lights, anyone else have stock tail lights with interior heat damage? Mine are melted from the inside out, which is why I've been looking at getting new tail lights in the first place.

When I bought the car four years ago, I saw that there was some blistering on the top of the chrome ring around the red lens. It was pretty minor and I just attributed it to the age of the car. I think most of us have seen how plated plastics don't hold up very well, especially when exposed to extreme temperatures. I just accepted it as that and learned to live with it.

A year or so later, I decided to upgrade with Spyder tail lights. Lets just say that it didn't work out. So, I went back to the stock tail lights and added LED plug-ins. That was the first time I paid any real attention to the bulb reflector. Right away, I noticed that there was a "shadow" at the 12 o'clock position in the reflector. Since the LEDs are a bit taller than the standard bulb and the lamp holder sits at a slight angle, I thought that it was being caused by a minor but unavoidable misalignment. Better than it was so again, I learned to live with it.

Here we are a couple years later and I'm discovering that the blistered chrome finish wasn't from external heat but internal. It grabbed my attention when I got a new parking space at work where I now walk straight up behind the car everyday when I leave. I always remote-start the car to let the fluids circulate for a minute or two before I roll. As we all know, the tail lights are lit when remote started so I get to see exactly what they look like. Well, that "shadow" almost looked worse so I was starting to worry that the LEDs were burning the reflector. Yes, LEDs generally run much cooler than incans but these are REALLY bright and even LEDs, if bright enough, can get pretty damn hot.

To test my suspicion, I did a little experiment. Using an insulated metal container, I pulled the lamp holder from one tail light and with LED still plugged in, put it inside the container, covered the open top aluminum foil and used a meat thermometer to see how hot the LED got with the brake lights on. The LEDs maxed out at 209F degrees after 10 minutes of continuous full bright (brakes on). I then tried the standard bulbs. They went up to 280F degrees... after only 3 minutes! I did this at night in May so there was no external heat source to affect the results. Since my experiment, I've had the tail lights out for a closer look and found that the red lens and the interior housing are melted as well.

Looking at my findings, I could definitely see how there could be heat damage from the bulb. Those stock tails might have looked cool when they came out but not the greatest technical design. With clear lenses and black interior housing, they're practically solar panels. Thinking about those 95F degree days in August, sitting in rush hour traffic with my foot on the brake pedal 80% of the time. In that confined, unventilated space with the sun blasting it and the heat coming off the pavement, it probably got closer to 400F.

I'd be shocked if this wasn't a common problem among those of us in urban areas with summer temperatures exceeding 90F degrees. With these cars being made in Australia, you would think that they would have been designed to handle hot weather.
    Current:

Previous:

Post Thanks / Like

So, the latest from the GM rep that I have been communicating with is that these lights with excessive glue are defective and it's being elevated to the next level. I've been pressuring them to investigate and ultimately recall or at least replace the defective assemblies on a case-by-case basis. The rep has requested that anyone interested in making a claim, contact them directly.

Type "RE: Suspicious parts" in the subject line and email to the following:

Andrea Ankawi
    Investigator, Global Brand Protection Investigations
    GM Global Security
    gm_global_brand_protection@gm.com

Please PM me if you choose to participate. Thanks!
    Current:

Previous: