Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: What to do with replaced rotors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do with replaced rotors?

A few months ago I replaced all four rotors and brake pads. The rotors were worn, may have been turn-able but I went with drilled and slotted. Anyway, I set the old ones aside in my garage and was wondering what do people do with them? Not trying to get any $$ for them or anything but it would just seem a bit of a shame to toss them in the garbage? Are they considered recyclable metal?
    2009 SRM GT: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, rear window roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

Post Thanks / Like

We have bulk pickup in our community once a month. Scrappers drive the neighborhood looking for stuff like this and take it before the garbage people can. Do you have anything like that? If not, a metal recycler will take them.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I work close to a metal reccycler and when i get an accumulation of rotors or other steel/iron stuff i stop by and drop it off. I get a few bucks, not much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    We have bulk pickup in our community once a month. Scrappers drive the neighborhood looking for stuff like this and take it before the garbage people can. Do you have anything like that? If not, a metal recycler will take them.
    ^^^^^^ put them at the curb on trash day. If where you live is anything like here, they’ll disappear quickly.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I live further out in the sticks than I thought... "Trash Day" is when I load the pickup with barrels, and make the drive to the recycling center!
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

1) look for a local metal recycler. some will pay you a bit for them some won't

2) failing that some auto parts stores have bins for scrap metal

3) call your local garbage company and see if they know of someone.

there was a time when I kept some 4+ rotors sitting in my garage at all times. I used to put them in a bag - in the trunk of the car when ice and snow hit around here. help with rear wheel traction - it did some too.

when I got as many as 10 or so sitting on the floor i would haul them out to the local metal place and often got 7 or so dollars per 100 lbs for them. walked out with 17-20 dollars most of the time.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I curb them

Local guy comes around, I put the old chain link fencing I ripped out etc.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

I put them separate from the other trash and someone picks them up. I guess they can make a small amount of money selling them for scrap.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage