Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0463 P0700 U0073 Codes, Fuel gauge dead

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P0463 P0700 U0073 Codes, Fuel gauge dead

This morning, upon first start, I got Redex'd and my fuel gauge flatlined. Drove to work and checked the codes with my standard scanner, got P0463 (fuel level sensor A circuit). Cleared the code and my fuel gauge went back up to where it was. Restarted the car, and the light came back on & the gauge resumed its slumber. Came home later and used a more capable scanner. Got the same code plus the P0700 and U0073, which there only seem to be vaguer descriptions for.

Is a new level sensor the likely fix for the P0463? And what is involved with that replacement?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    This morning, upon first start, I got Redex'd and my fuel gauge flatlined. Drove to work and checked the codes with my standard scanner, got P0463 (fuel level sensor A circuit). Cleared the code and my fuel gauge went back up to where it was. Restarted the car, and the light came back on & the gauge resumed its slumber. Came home later and used a more capable scanner. Got the same code plus the P0700 and U0073, which there only seem to be vaguer descriptions for.

Is a new level sensor the likely fix for the P0463? And what is involved with that replacement?
    The sender is the float, arm, and a set of contacts that ride up and down making contact to show different resistance values.

If there's a place where it no longer makes contact it could trip that code. Maybe it's worn or dirty. I'd suspect dirty or connection problem, personally.

Either way, you gotta get the fuel pump out to give it a once over.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It sat for several days, then I filled the tank and went back home on Sunday. Didn't drive more on Sunday. The code popped up first thing Monday morning. Do you think it's worth filling up again before I tear into it, to see if it clears off?

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    It sat for several days, then I filled the tank and went back home on Sunday. Didn't drive more on Sunday. The code popped up first thing Monday morning. Do you think it's worth filling up again before I tear into it, to see if it clears off?
    Because of the pain that is buying a fuel pump access cover, cutting the access hole, securing the cover, and pulling the pump, yes, I would try a fresh fill before tearing into it.

It's not super hard, just a few steps and new parts in order to pull the pump.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

A bottle of Chevron Techron on the next fill up can sometimes help clean the contacts on the fuel level sender. It worked on several other cars I had

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone through two tanks, both with Techron, with no improvement. Today, I found a P0461 code along with the P0463.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Fls1126 is where I would start.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Where would I find the fuel tank ground strap? I still haven't had a chance to try addressing this. But Google says it's a good first thing to check. Techron and fresh fuel hasn't changed anything.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

P0461 is fuel level sensor 1 range/performance issues
    P0463 is fuel level sensor 1 high voltage

The fuel level sensor could be stuck in a down position. I'm assuming this as it's usually discussed in terms of resistance not voltage.
    You need to cut a hole on the passenger side about the fuel pump. I used a dremmel. Don't cut too deep.
    The area around the fuel pump will need to be super clean. I would tap around the fuel pump just to see if it's stuck.

Make sure the fuel level is less than half. Don't do like Pete and pour gas in the vehicle.
    Talk to Greg at Pace and see what he can do with a fuel level sender. 9 or 10 years on a fuel pump and I would be inclined to replace the pump and sender. If the tank looks dirty, I would opt for a pump with the fuel pressure regulator.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.