Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are my struts moving ?........ALOT

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be a "Chicken Little". It is supposed to move that much. Our suspension is not like any other car you have ever owned, unless it was a BMW or MB. If you think that movement is too much? Have someone turn the wheel for you and watch the movement of the lower control arms and knuckle. Look at the shape of the mount. It goes in a cup. It is a pivot point, not a fixed mount. This is a very dynamic suspension. It pivots under the Tire's surface. Not around the ball joints like an old A-arm suspension.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHwxFHPWhM Post the before and after specs of your alignment. What is your cold tire pressure? too high makes the car squirrelly
    Last edited by GT Drew; 07-04-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Post Thanks / Like

Default "He lives now, only in my memory"

In the year 2000 Holden Engineering Report they wrote extensively about the front shock towers moving under load. No longer available even on line. "He lives now, only in my memory". Cracking on strut towers goes back to before the flood on Statesman, Commodore and Monaro cars. "Imprecise steering" made them crazy and they came up with a fix but went out of existance before ever implimenting it. BMR read all about it and created part # STB012. The STB 012 mounts ~6" below the top of the strut tower. I use the Whiteline KSB637 Strut Tower Brace because it is adjustable for more pre-load on the top of the tower. Together they make a very big difference in steering feel. A video from a camera mounted under the hood clearly shows how much an oem car's strut towers moves in normal driving and more so at an autocross. Also no longer able to be found but a movement of ~1/8" could easily be seen. The rest of the chassis reinforcement makes a noticable difference too while adding weight in just the right places for a 50/50 weight distribution. To be clear, A STB does not fix this, you need the weirdly labelled BMR STB 012 to stop the side to side tower flex, which only increases with metal fatique.
    Last edited by Samuel; 10-14-2022 at 03:16 AM.