Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative crankcase pressure

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Negative crankcase pressure

I noticed a hissing sound from inside my car at idle. So when I investigated, I found that there is excessive vacuum from the tube at the back of the drivers side valve cover. I need to find why this has reversed itself from positive pressure to negative pressure. The engine runs great. I cannot find any other issues at this time.
    09 Sport Metallic Red G8 GT, Livernois Tune, AR 1 7/8 LT headers with HPC coating, RotoFab CAI, Brembo Brakes, Front Grill Cutaway, GXP Diffuser, Oil catch can (DuclosBrosRacing design) Custom logo Embriodery on headrests Sirius Radio Module

!!!!!AND A BRAND SPANKING NEW ENGINE AT 35K!!!!!

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Intake manifold gasket leak to the lifter valley?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. What would cause that? Everything runs well and no codes are showing. This is an L76 with 80,000miles. Also if that is the problem, maybe I should upgrade my intake manifold.
    09 Sport Metallic Red G8 GT, Livernois Tune, AR 1 7/8 LT headers with HPC coating, RotoFab CAI, Brembo Brakes, Front Grill Cutaway, GXP Diffuser, Oil catch can (DuclosBrosRacing design) Custom logo Embriodery on headrests Sirius Radio Module

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to mess with the gaskets, but they are a rubber piece laid in place, and don't come in some sort of plastic/metal carrier frame, correct? One could have had a defect and eventually got partially sucked in.
    It might be worth pulling the plugs and looking for one that doesn't match the rest, showing signs of being leaner than the rest. Can you scan the fuel trims and see if the engine is compensating for extra air?

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not certain if the scanner I have will read individual fuel curves. So I will try the spark plug check. Since this is a 2 day old issue, I would be lucky to see much of a difference. Thanks again for you response. I appreciate any help I get.

I have a catch can. It has a place for a filtered vent. Currently I have it plugged off with the provided plug. I was told that the filter would cause a lean condition, so I do not run it.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I forget, do we have a PCV, or is it really just an open line into the intake?

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that the port on the back of the drivers head is the one with the restrictor in the orifice, and is therefor the inlet. Meaning it will pull vacuum.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    I forget, do we have a PCV, or is it really just an open line into the intake?

The PCV is simply a restriction and not any sort of valve. The hose from it goes directly to the intake just behind the throttle body. The catch can filters out the foul air and condenses it so that the oil does not accumulate on the inside of the intake manifold. It is positive pressure, but only a slight amount of pressure. My car has enough vacuum that if you leave your finger on for more than a few seconds it will cause a blister. (So keep cats and small children away)JK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukeofpg View Post
    The PCV is simply a restriction and not any sort of valve. The hose from it goes directly to the intake just behind the throttle body. The catch can filters out the foul air and condenses it so that the oil does not accumulate on the inside of the intake manifold. It is positive pressure, but only a slight amount of pressure. My car has enough vacuum that if you leave your finger on for more than a few seconds it will cause a blister. (So keep cats and small children away)JK!
    Do you have the valley tube also hooked up? This would pull vacuum at the rear VC fitting I would think if you are trying to use both.
    There should only be the passenger VC fitting hooked to the air intake tube for fresh air and either the valley cover hooked to the intake vacuum or the left valve cover hooked to intake vacuum.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    Do you have the valley tube also hooked up? This would pull vacuum at the rear VC fitting I would think if you are trying to use both.
    There should only be the passenger VC fitting hooked to the air intake tube for fresh air and either the valley cover hooked to the intake vacuum or the left valve cover hooked to intake vacuum.
    Greg, I have had the catch can on there for years and it has always flowed from the Valve Cover to the Catch Can and ending at the back of the Throttle Body. I have never changed the routing of these tubes. I also did not move the hoses from anything else. I just noticed the hissing sound and thought that I had an air leak. As i investigated, i pinched the the hose coming out of the Valve cover and the hissing stopped. So then I disconnected it. I actually could not pull it off until I shut off the engine because it has so much pull. When it is open to the atmosphere, the engine stumbles and dies or runs at extremely low idle and a bit rough. When the system is closed everything runs smooth. No CEL's. I do seem to be getting bad mileage, but that could be because it has been running in the shop with the hood up. I've been to 2 GM dealerships and one other LS mechanic and basically they say to pitch a tent and sell tickets because this is impossible.If anything it should be creating too much pressure.

•One other note. The oil fill is on the opposite side. I do not notice any vacuum when I remove the oil filler or the dipstick. Only the drivers side sucks (and maybe the driver too). At this point, I should offer a reward for the the answer that fixes it!
    Last edited by dukeofpg; 07-03-2018 at 10:09 AM.