Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Changing spark plugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing spark plugs

Sorry if this has already been covered but I searched a bit and nothing looked obvious.

So, I just bought a set of spark plugs and I was wondering if there is a recommended procedure for this car. I know from what I can see and what I've read that the passenger side is a real PITA to get to. I've changed plugs on other cars so I'm knowledgeable on the basics.

Any tricks or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    2009 G8 GT
    Passion Red
    Sport Package
    Vararam CAI
    Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Getting to the passenger side firewall plug appeared to be problematic initially, but my plug socket had a 19mm nut shaped head IIRC making that plug easy once you get it started correctly by hand. I always change that plug first, originally used the plug socket with a 3/8 shallow socket, but now use a 19mm flex head ratchet wrench making it even easier to extract that plug.

I run copper plugs, change them about every 9k miles and do not remember having any other difficulties. Oh, a plug wire removal tool also comes in handy.

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the flex head ratchet.
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Getting to the passenger side firewall plug appeared to be problematic initially, but my plug socket had a 19mm nut shaped head IIRC making that plug easy once you get it started correctly by hand. I always change that plug first, originally used the plug socket with a 3/8 shallow socket, but now use a 19mm flex head ratchet wrench making it even easier to extract that plug.

I run copper plugs, change them about every 9k miles and do not remember having any other difficulties. Oh, a plug wire removal tool also comes in handy.

JAM

A flex head tool makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of using a swivel but was concerned that there wouldn't be enough clearance. So, to clarify, you're talking about something like the image I attached?
    2009 G8 GT
    Passion Red
    Sport Package
    Vararam CAI
    Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Precisely!

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

After using a wobble extension for the first t8me last year, I bought a set. They're awesome.

Plus, they make socket insterts that give you a bolt head to put a wrench on. Awesome.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 06-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

The far back one on the pass side? I put a socket over the spark plug socket. Makes for a straight shot with the ratchet.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.