Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Changing spark plugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing spark plugs

Sorry if this has already been covered but I searched a bit and nothing looked obvious.

So, I just bought a set of spark plugs and I was wondering if there is a recommended procedure for this car. I know from what I can see and what I've read that the passenger side is a real PITA to get to. I've changed plugs on other cars so I'm knowledgeable on the basics.

Any tricks or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Getting to the passenger side firewall plug appeared to be problematic initially, but my plug socket had a 19mm nut shaped head IIRC making that plug easy once you get it started correctly by hand. I always change that plug first, originally used the plug socket with a 3/8 shallow socket, but now use a 19mm flex head ratchet wrench making it even easier to extract that plug.

I run copper plugs, change them about every 9k miles and do not remember having any other difficulties. Oh, a plug wire removal tool also comes in handy.

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the flex head ratchet.
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Getting to the passenger side firewall plug appeared to be problematic initially, but my plug socket had a 19mm nut shaped head IIRC making that plug easy once you get it started correctly by hand. I always change that plug first, originally used the plug socket with a 3/8 shallow socket, but now use a 19mm flex head ratchet wrench making it even easier to extract that plug.

I run copper plugs, change them about every 9k miles and do not remember having any other difficulties. Oh, a plug wire removal tool also comes in handy.

JAM

A flex head tool makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of using a swivel but was concerned that there wouldn't be enough clearance. So, to clarify, you're talking about something like the image I attached?
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Precisely!

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

After using a wobble extension for the first t8me last year, I bought a set. They're awesome.

Plus, they make socket insterts that give you a bolt head to put a wrench on. Awesome.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 06-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

The far back one on the pass side? I put a socket over the spark plug socket. Makes for a straight shot with the ratchet.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.