Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock subs, 50 watt rms or peak?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock subs, 50 watt rms or peak?

I'm piecing together a shelf stereo for my garage. I have an amp that has a sub channel stable to 4 ohm at 68 watts. Don't know if that's peak or rms just yet. I thought I might use one or both of the old stock G8 subs which are 2 ohm and have 50 watts stamped on the back. I figure I'd have to use both, wired serial to play nice with the amp, but I'm not sure if the power will be sufficient. If they are 50 watts peak, it might be ok. Thoughts?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    I'm piecing together a shelf stereo for my garage. I have an amp that has a sub channel stable to 4 ohm at 68 watts. Don't know if that's peak or rms just yet. I thought I might use one or both of the old stock G8 subs which are 2 ohm and have 50 watts stamped on the back. I figure I'd have to use both, wired serial to play nice with the amp, but I'm not sure if the power will be sufficient. If they are 50 watts peak, it might be ok. Thoughts?
    As long as you don't drive the amp into clipping you should be just fine, rms or peak, the numbers are close regardless. At that power level, no issues.

Building an acceptable enclosure will be the greater challenge... Id build the biggest box possible and adjust port length based on performance, 3" or 4" dia.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I should be fine with just one 2 ohm sub, or with two in series?

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: I left the stock subs in and installed an amp. I regularly (years) have put 150W peak (measured) into the stock subs without any kind of degradation or failure. They are pretty forgiving with music power. Like said above, just keep it below the level of when the amp or speakers clip.
    Last edited by norm8332; 06-14-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

So 50 is likely their RMS. That helps to know. Thanks!

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    I should be fine with just one 2 ohm sub, or with two in series?
    You need to wire both subs in series to get 4ohm load.

Amp sub channel + to sub 1 +, then sub 1 - to sub 2 +, then sub 2 - to amp sub channel -.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried last night, with one stock G8 sub and this amp. It sounds decent in lower volume situations, but when I turn it up the sub pops somewhat. I'll try wiring the second sub in series this evening and see how that goes.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...pply--300-3830

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Does that amp support two ohms? Yeah try them in series.. That amp is not going to be able to put out 2X50 Watts (100W) when it only comes with a 48W power supply Watts=Voltage times Amperage with DC.

The specs claim 4 ohm minimum. They are a bit sketchy if you ask me.

Specifications: • Speaker power output: 50 watts x 2 • Subwoofer power output: 100 watts • Impedance: 4-8 ohms • Amplifier input voltage: 24 VDC • Amplifier input amperage: 4A • Power supply voltage: 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz • Power supply amperage: 2A

Note that it says Amplifier input amperage 4A, but it only comes with a 2A power supply.

Last edited by norm8332; 06-21-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The amp manual says 4 ohm min, but the data sheet for the chips in the amp say 2 ohm, and some reviews say they use 2 ohm just fine. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think it's not an adequate power supply it's only 48W. How do they expect to get 50W X 2 and 100W sub woofer is beyond me. And you could only get 48W continuous on one channel if the amp was 100% efficient and it is not, more like 80% for class D. That means 38W total combined continuous output in real life. I think that amp is "creatively rated". It would probably work better with a 24V 5A power supply.
    Last edited by norm8332; 06-21-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    My Garage