Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock subs, 50 watt rms or peak?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It came with a 24 volt 4 amp output power supply.

Dayton is supposedly a decent name. That's why I bought it as opposed to some random Chinese named thing.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 06-21-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a 5 amp supply on Parts Express.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I wired in the second sub. The sound maybe got a little cleaner. But I think the speakers are the weak link. So my next decision is another box to hold the second sub, or spend a little more and get one better sub.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 06-22-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Might as well get another sub if you think they are the issue.

Since I have the equipment I usually feed a sine wave to the amp with an oscilloscope and a dummy load to find out the amp clipping wattage for a given load. Then if clipping is heard prior to reaching that wattage, it's the speakers.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to mention that the SPL of those speakers is a bit low at 82db. It requires exponentially more power to increase DB so you want to start with speakers rated of as high an SPL that is within your budget and requirements. I usually start being interested in speakers at an SPL of 85db and up. The higher the better. They go into the 90s with top specs. It makes a huge difference in the power needed for a given loudness output.

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/a...info/decibels/
    Last edited by norm8332; 06-23-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I put the sub in today. It sounds much better. I'm still waiting on the boxes for the 6 1/2" speakers. I did try the 5a power supply. It didn't seem to make any difference, but since it's only running the sub, I don't know yet if it isn't able to keep up with just the 4a supply. I'll play around when I get the other speakers wired up.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the boxes today and wired in the 2 ways. On heavier bass songs, it does run out of steam somewhat when loud. At levels I'll probably usually have it, it should keep up fine with the 5 amp adapter. Haven't tried the 4 amp yet, since I already had the 5 amp connected and heard the results.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking into a way to dial back the volume, and maybe the power, the 2 ways use. An L pad or attenuator looks like a good option, but I can't seem to find one in 4 ohm. It looks like I can got a stereo 8 ohm unit for each speaker and wire each on in parallel basically to make it 4 ohm. It would cost me like $40 though. I thought about just adding a 2 or 4 ohm resistor in series instead. But many say that muddies the sound.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I put together.

Winter-wear: