Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Speed sensor change and valve body maintenance?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed sensor change and valve body maintenance?

So I've had the input/output speed sensor code come up apx 4 times now over 10k+ miles. Puts me in limp mode and when cleared everything is fine again. My tuner checked and says everything is ok but I went ahead and bought the sensor, inexpensive and not really a big job, drop the pan then vlave body then swap sensor. My question is , when I have the valve body down is there some basic cleaning, maintenance, servo cleaning or inspection I can do to it? I'm talking very basic for someone with zero internal transmission experience or knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same code come up on mine many times a while back that also put into limp and was also able to clear it. On my car it I was also experiencing some occasional flare and after a short while also got solenoid stuck codes (open/closed) which I was also able to clear a couple times. Then the rear tires locked as I was coming to a stop(drive/reverse innop) and turned out that some of the clutch packs wore and froze. Ended up having to get a rebuilt trans from GM. Not saying this is your problem, just something to keep in mind.

As far as cleaning the valve body I don't think its recommended, unless you get it rebuilt professionally with better/stronger components etc. or get a new valve body.
    New fluid and filter (good time to upgrade to the Camaro large mouth filter and pan) is a good idea then add 1 extra qt after following the GM refill procedure while having the car level and at correct operating temp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I already have the Camaro pan and filter installed. I do have occasional flares but I've had that since stock at 40k miles now at 115k but it's so rare I don't really pay it no mind and again, tuner says it's all good. His tune isn't super aggressive but at times as a daily driver I wish it was less firm. But, yeah I don't want to mess with the valve body at all but since it was coming down for the sensor I thought it a good time to clean/spray/check things.

Post Thanks / Like

So I changed the sensor, help! I have no gear selection.