Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sell my G8 for 5th Gen 1LE or 6th Gen 1LE?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the best of both worlds is possible... adding selective 1LE bits to the G8?
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52WASP View Post
    Maybe the best of both worlds is possible... adding selective 1LE bits to the G8?
    Honestly wheels and 3.91 diff would be the only easy parts.

You could do a rear sway bar with a zeta ii rear cradle swap and modifying the spare tire well (or potentially with custom made brackets like what people are using for the newer SS bar).

Factory 1LE front struts are impossible without major modification to the unibody. I know because I tried to make it work on mine (my goal was a 1LE GXP), I finally settled on a set of Camaro BC's.

And of course the front sway just straight up doesn't fit, it's totally different. I think that covers the extent of 1LE specific parts.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
    -Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, 3.91 1LE diff, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yutzybrian View Post
    Honestly wheels and 3.91 diff would be the only easy parts.

You could do a rear sway bar with a zeta ii rear cradle swap and modifying the spare tire well (or potentially with custom made brackets like what people are using for the newer SS bar).

Factory 1LE front struts are impossible without major modification to the unibody. I know because I tried to make it work on mine (my goal was a 1LE GXP), I finally settled on a set of Camaro BC's.

And of course the front sway just straight up doesn't fit, it's totally different. I think that covers the extent of 1LE specific parts.
    Wouldn't it be better for the z28 shocks if you have the ability for camaro drop ins? I know they are pricey but it would be by far the best shock you can even buy.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    Wouldn't it be better for the z28 shocks if you have the ability for camaro drop ins? I know they are pricey but it would be by far the best shock you can even buy.
    Same problem as 1LE struts, they won't drop in. Upper spring seat is larger diameter on OEM and won't work with the G8 strut mount bushing. Some have theorized that you could cut the "cup" out from the unibody and bolt in Camaro caster plates that have a solid upper mount, none have actually tried. Aftermarket Camaro coilovers work because of the different style spring. BCs 60mm springs line up perfectly for the G8 bushing to sit on top.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
    -Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, 3.91 1LE diff, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yutzybrian View Post
    Same problem as 1LE struts, they won't drop in. Upper spring seat is larger diameter on OEM and won't work with the G8 strut mount bushing. Some have theorized that you could cut the "cup" out from the unibody and bolt in Camaro caster plates that have a solid upper mount, none have actually tried. Aftermarket Camaro coilovers work because of the different style spring. BCs 60mm springs line up perfectly for the G8 bushing to sit on top.
    I got ya. G8 springs don't sit on the camaro strut? Or no way to make upper plate sit under the g8 bearing?
    Uniball upper would be ok but not worth the modifications I feel.

Edit. Looking at a picture of the top spring hat it looks you would have to machine a new one to cut out that flare area.
    If it's a 3" flat top on the z28 I actually have a hat that the bearing would sit on. It's a 3" to 2.5" spring plate actually. With a 12mm bore in it so one can the hole to size.
    Last edited by BuildItYourSelf; 03-28-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    I got ya. G8 springs don't sit on the camaro strut? Or no way to make upper plate sit under the g8 bearing?
    Uniball upper would be ok but not worth the modifications I feel.

Edit. Looking at a picture of the top spring hat it looks you would have to machine a new one to cut out that flare area.
    If it's a 3" flat top on the z28 I actually have a hat that the bearing would sit on. It's a 3" to 2.5" spring plate actually. With a 12mm bore in it so one can the hole to size.
    Didn't try putting a G8 spring on it, my H&Rs practically sold the day I took them off. I'm sure an adaptor plate of sorts could be made to make the bushing sit on the spring, but I don't have the machining capabilities or knowledge to even attempt that.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT