Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 2008 Panther Black G8 GT in MT

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2008 Panther Black G8 GT in MT

Hello all of grrrr8, my name is Erich and I'm 19. The story of my G8 starts with my dad. He purchased the car new in Las Vegas and kept it stock for the most part until about 2010. Around that time, the car got new TSW wheels, lowering springs, long tubes, a full de-cat exhaust, a new Yank torque converter, a new set of rear gears, a large cam, an LS3 valve train, a DOD delete, sub-frame connectors, racing brake pads, cold air intake, new polyurethane bushing, a vinyl wrap, and much more. In about 2015 I moved with my dad up north to Montana. Shortly after we moved, we experienced a camshaft and lifter failure. When we took apart the engine, some lobes of the cam actually had chunks missing, along with the lifters. We also noticed that there was an intake leak, which caused the car to suck in a lot of fine dirt due to us having to drive on a dirt road to the house we were living at. Needless to say, the cylinder walls were scored and the engine needed a full rebuild. Additionally, the car was involved in a massive hailstorm shortly after we moved, damaging the windshield, roof, fenders, trunk lid, hood, etc. It's like everything came crashing down at once. The car sat for nearly a year collecting dust in our garage. Eventually, my dad and I took the engine and trans out of the car. We rebuilt the engine with the help of some books and online sources. We put in a new COMP stage 3 cam and PAC 1218 Valve Springs, new rings, valve seals, honed the cylinders, new gaskets, head studs, main studs, bearings, etc. We put in the upgraded studs since we plan on turbocharging the car at some point. However, after we get it back together and running I'm not sure myself or my dad would want to basically take the whole thing apart again to custom make a turbo system, haha. I rebuilt the 6l80e using an ATSG manual and from the help of Hiram Gutierrez via his YouTube channel "Automatic Transmission". After a while, we got everything rebuilt and put back into the car. We are still currently figuring out the wiring harness and ground locations since we didn't mark them when we took them off for some reason. After we get it running, I plan on doing the bodywork and wrapping the car in a Riviera Blue type vinyl, either from VVivid or Avery. I will keep everyone updated along the way and will be asking plenty of questions as I near the end.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Pictures after the wrap!

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. There is a sticky with a complete pin out of the entire car.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Erich! Looking forward to the finished product!
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcomes. My Dad and I are almost done with plugging in all of the connectors on the harness and we solved a lot of the questions we had regarding where certain grounds went via this online G8 manual my Dad purchased on eBay a while back. Also, thanks to Ray for pointing out the sticky with the pin-outs. Crazy Paul's posts have been very helpful. Too bad he doesn't seem to be active on the forum any longer. After I solve a couple more mysteries it will be time to prime the oil pump, fill the engine, trans, radiator, etc. and try firing it up! After that it will be time for the body work, paint, and wrap.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the source of the intake leak that caused a bunch of dirt to be sucked into engine. Someone at some point had done an EVAP system delete and didn't put a filter on this little plastic pipe that juts out of the side of the intake manifold close to the throttle body.

Post Thanks / Like

G8GT9.jpg

The car as it sits now. Most of the wrap has been peeled off in preparation for the body work.