Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: LSA with AFM

Post Thanks / Like

Default LSA with AFM

So here's my question:

Are there any of you out there who have retained AFM with an LSA? If so, I'd like to hear what your setup is.

I've read all the "you'll pull the stock cam out in no time, the lifters will fail, you'll want more power" comments... Thanks, but I'm good for now. I am coming from an intake/headers/tune car- I am NOT looking for the next 600, 700 or 800RWHP G8. I'm not looking for more boost- or different pulleys, 2 fuel pumps, a bigger cam, heads, drag radials... you get the picture.

If you have retained AFM, with a "stock" LSA setup, did you replace the lifters with the newer design? Did you retain (or change to) the 09.5 valley cover? Which intake did you use? I currently have a Vararam- it will probably need to be replaced with something else. Did you BAP the stock fuel pump? Is it enough?

Feel free to PM me. Again, thank you for your time. Maybe the bug WILL bite later, and I'll be hungry for that 700RWHP solution. But for now, the thought of the additional RWHP to be had is plenty.

Mike
    Last edited by 52WASP; 02-02-2018 at 03:20 AM.
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume when it's running on 4 cylinders the blower won't be making boost. So with that I would assume the car will run as normal.

That's how I look at it.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

The only two I know that did this ended up ruining their engines and building from scratch. IMO, dump the stock system and build it strong.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree a foundation is needed.
    But on the matter of dod function interface with blower functions I would think it's safe in tbeary.
    However the dod parts mixed with boost maybe will be a problem at high levels. The valve springs are not enough to keep a valve closed under more then a few pounds of boost. I feel it will push it open. Also high HP pushing against a collapsible lifter at exhaust valve open is a strain that will cause premature failure of the (imo) already junk lifter.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone retained AFM in any forced-induction scenario (not just LSA- positive displacement in any configuration)? Under part-throttle conditions there is no issue (the blower isn't "there"), and if the AFM lifter has a rev-limit of say 6,200 RPM's, I'm fine.
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

O yeah. I built a twin turbo system for a gt that had the Hi lift dod cam.
    A turbo system will have more vacuum when dod is working. But the guy did have lifter problems.
    The problem is when under boost the pressure pushes on the valve while it's trying to stay closed. Dod can not handle a heavy spring needed to keep the valve closed.
    The problem at happens when dod isn't working at all.
    He had this problem with only 8psi. But it could have been for the "dod hi lift sorings" he got with the cam. I dunno. That was after the car was gone.

Personally I wouldn't want dod lifters in any ls engine. They are to prone to failure for the very little benefit dod provides.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot this when I commented at first but the dod Valley cover isn't cleared buy the Lsa blower.
    So that's why no one does it.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, there are 2 different valley covers. The 08/09, and the 09.5. The 09.5 doesn't have the raised features (which would interfere with the LSA). Links to pictures of these valley covers (on this forum) aren't visible anymore.
    Creature Comfort:

Show:

Go/Whoa: