Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep G8 or get used SS?

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

2 different cars. Odd to see someone say that, I am sure.

The G8 is more unrefined obviously, a lot of that goes to the suspension and the steering [which went to electric]

15+ has the magnaride and a manual trans option.

I enjoy driving my GXP just as much as my SS [also an M6]. I sort of wish I went with the A6 so my fiancée could drive it, but the stars recently aligned and she has one all to herself now [daily driver].

You can't go wrong either way. While I miss the lack of a car payment...I am not complaining.

Just like the G8, it is a fantastic car and not something you will see often.

I don't understand why people pay crazy money for a used high mile GXP, especially an A6, when a lower mile newer SS is cheaper or the same. I mean, I understand, but I don't at the same time. M6 availability is better, A6 is cheaper.
    Last edited by MIEngineer; 12-11-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Have been debating the last couple of months about trading the SS for a SS. The former being my 2008 Impala SS. Figure I could swing the car payments and probably the insurance but personal property taxes would kick my tail! Would keep the G8 and try return him to his former glory as cash would allow...

Unless there is some major engine or transmission repairs looming I can't see giving up the G8 for awhile. Just too much fun!
    --Brian--

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2008 Chevy Impala SS--Traded 4/1/2021
    2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
    2001 GMC Sierra

GODSPEED CHARLIE!!! R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Different cars....

Personally prefer the looks of the g8 and I’m good with the interior after ditching the factory stereo.

No doubt the ss is a nicer more refined car....also comes with a big price tag.

Probably keep the lsa swapped g8 for a long time and add in a newer camaro ss 1le to be diversified...I need a stick in my life

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought it because of the value.

There will never be an affordable RWD performance sedan like this. I think the SS will follow suit to the GXP values after the initial slump [which M6 cars don't seem to have anyway now]

I plan to buy a Bolt or another Cruze (as my 14 was awesome and traded it in on the SS) as a daily, eventually.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaFromFL View Post
    I prefer the raw 1960's muscle car vibe of the G8 GT with RWD, V8, hydraulic power steering, retro Pontiac styling, and the plain low tech interior. The vastly improved brakes and handling don't seem to detract from the vibe. I haven't driven the SS but suspect it refines out some of the fun (like newer BMWs) in more ways than just having boring generic sheet metal.
    I agree I love the simpleness of the G8 and the rawness of it
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Mine is paid for and has 190,000 miles and would get shit for it to trade, keep the G8 and buy the SS they would look GRRRR8 in the garage
    Screw the dealer!
    The Black Rat is fast approaching legendary status.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
    Screw the dealer!
    The Black Rat is fast approaching legendary status.
    Yes it will hit that 200,000 mile marker and still is a beast, plus its paid for so yes screw the dealer
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here