Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Noob - Steering Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noob - Steering Issue

Hello folks, noob here with a steering issue and hoping to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue or had any input on the possible cause. So I have a 2009 G8 GT, and for about 6 months or so, I have been experiencing subtle pulling when taking corners above 30 MPH or so. It is difficult to describe the sensation that I feel though if you can imagine driving on a road that has substantial grooves in the concrete, it feels as though I am driving on a road like this (though I am driving on smooth asphalt) where when you take corners, you feel tension as the tires get caught up in the grooves if that makes any sense. I had needed new tires and though that that could be it, though after replacing my tires, the issue remains. I have brought the car to the dealership, and the tech diagnosed that it was caused by worn struts. I was skeptical about his theory, though I approved the work as it was under extended warranty. So a month out from that work, and I am still having the issue. I have been wondering if it is related to the fact that I have an under drive pully installed (PBU117-SS25), the belts are Dayco 5060740 and 5040425. I also had installed the updated A/C tensioner bracket (92252927). The tensioner bracket was replaced a few months prior to having this issue so I made me think that maybe it was something with the belts. It seems as though maybe the issue is being caused by the belts being incorrect for this combination (too much or too little tension in the belts) of upgrades and this in turn affecting the performance of the power steering? If anyone could confirm that I have the correct belts for the underdrive pulley and the updated tensioner, I would appreciate that input so that at least I can put that to rest. Otherwise, if anyone has any other ideas on the possible cause, I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

The belts or related items have no effect on steering. It's possible the lower control arms are an issue. Get the front end off the ground and grab the tire at 9 and 3 and move it back and forth. Listen for any sounds. Or have someone look at the suspension for any unwanted movement.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the lower control arms were replaced about 2 years ago. I have heard of them failing again after replacement, though there is no 'clunking' sound present that accompanied the original set that was replaced. A mechanic has already went through the suspension and confirmed that everything was tight so I am really just grasping at any idea that I can come up with. I may take it to have another mechanic take a look to get a second opinion. It just sucks because like I said, it is a very subtle pulling and difficult to detect when driving the car (for someone who doesn't own it). Thank you for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a similar issue in which I couldn't find the problem on my suspension. The suspension was checked several times for loose or worn parts, shakedown down several times while jacked up and all passed. I ended up sticking my head under the car while I had someone turn the steering wheal slowly back and forth while the car was on the ground. Ended up seeing movement in the LCA that didn't show up while jacked up and grasping the tire. Replaced the LCA's and all was good.

Post Thanks / Like

2 for the LCA's. I will check them out again this weekend, both on and off the ground. Love the G8 though the front end suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I didn't address. The tensioner has marks on it to show where the center point is. If the pointer is between those marks the belt is the proper length.
    When you are taking corners, is the front end pushing? Also, what brand tire and size are you running.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

No pushing during corners, just the tension once you turn the wheel beyond a certain point. The more I think about it, the more I suspect that you and Cooper are right with it being something with the suspension despite the mechanic's passed inspection. I've also noticed that I feel the same tension just driving straight if I move the wheel left to right. Feels like there is definitely play in something with the suspension or the steering components though it doesn't affect the movement of the vehicle in any way, I only feel the tension in the wheel. Thanks for the info on the tensioner, quite sure that as you stated, the belts are not part of the issue though something I would like to confirm either way. I am running Goodyear Eagle RSA tires, 245/45R18.