Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Bad lifter can valve contact piston?

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad lifter can valve contact piston?

I have a G8 L76 with 175K miles. Always well maintained at the dealer, who has treated me very well. The last two mornings when starting there were a few rather violent metallic bangs and engine misfires and then normal quiet operation. I've had very little of the dreaded lifter tick at cold start.

Since I was due for an oil change anyway (quart low) I took it to the dealer and left it overnight so they could troubleshoot the issue. Today I had a long talk with the technician, who is well thought of by my friend service writer. He says that I have one, possibly two, bad lifters and tried to convince me that they may have failed such that a valve was hanging open and the noise I heard was valve to piston contact.

His recommendation is at a minimum to pull the heads and replace all of the lifters and inspect for valve and/or piston and/or camshaft damage. With labor, estimated at 8-10 hours and parts, including new plugs wires, etc I could be looking at over $2K and still have worn engine, or even more damage.

So I'm looking for advice. Is this diagnosis good or am I getting fed BS?

I love this car but good sense has to come into play sometime and I'm considering replacement. (A Kia Stinger is looking mighty good, except they are vaporware at the moment)

Thanks, Wes

Post Thanks / Like

DOUBT it! If something broke and the valve dropped sure, but usually when the lifters go bad, it takes out the cam which is OK because it's a POS anyway! lol

The stinger is on my list for DD next. I have 2 years left on my Durango R/T.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    DOUBT it! If something broke and the valve dropped sure, but usually when the lifters go bad, it takes out the cam which is OK because it's a POS anyway! lol

Thanks,

I actually doubt it too as I can imagine a lifter collapsing, but not pumping up and seizing so a valve hangs open. Particularly since it clears in less than a minute and runs fine with no codes set AFAIK.

Post Thanks / Like

Parts of the lifter would end up in the oil pump and oil pan. Since the engine was running with no noise after, there would be no valve to piston contact. Heads to need to come off to repair. New cam, new lifters and new oil pump.
    At 175 k, it's a good time to rebuild.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it happen every time now? I'm guessing a lifter was collapsed initially. If it happens again, I would at least pull the valve covers to check the rockers and springs.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

I actually sat in a Stinger yesterday at a local dealer. Since it's owned by Kia and isn't a US speced model they won't allow it to be driven and the battery is out to insure that. Hence, I couldn't adjust the seat, open the hatch, etc. First impression is that I banged the side of my head getting into the thing. The second impression is the rear visibility is non-existent. Seating, as much as I could tell without adjusting is comfortable. But like I felt when I drove a new Stingray, I liked the car, but I didn't fall in love with it.

Might just be time to change the oil in the G8 and see what happens. If it blows up, put a new engine in it and keep on going.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    Does it happen every time now? I'm guessing a lifter was collapsed initially. If it happens again, I would at least pull the valve covers to check the rockers and springs.
    Thanks. It only happened to me twice on two mornings. As I said, after a minute or so everything is normal. I