Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Low end bog, high end gear drop?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low end bog, high end gear drop?

So to start off I bought an 08 GT for what I previously thought was a good deal. 102k miles few minor fixes its but I was going to dump a bunch of money into making it what I wanted anyway.

Straight to the point: Between 1-2k rpms the car feels like an anchor was thrown out the window. I can literally feel the car slow and speed with rotation of the crank. it does this in drive, and sport but not manual shift as I keep the rpms higher. then to add to my already nervous findings of the car, when I step on the gas (because the bogging starts to piss me off) the car will slam into second (i mean slam hard, jolts the driver) and accelerate like a bat of hell.

the scary: the person I purchased said car from said he replaced the computer, and i'm starting to think this is a water damaged car with a clean title and I bought a lemon.

What I want to know: before I go 5k into parts purchase, is this a common problem? could it be a dead lifter? how can I ensure the car is worth building prior to the actual build? (I do plan on getting it bore-scoped before doing the dod delete and heads)

any help or input appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Has the car been tuned?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

to my knowledge, no. Judging by the guy I got it from...it was purchased at auction and done the least amount of work possible to flip.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a possibility that this is a cat issue, especially if the car has been tuned. Low end power goes first when the cats start plugging up. Sometimes a rotten-egg smell at the exhaust can also be noted.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

hmm it does have an offroad xpipe, I haven't noticed any smells. appreciate the help, I'm going to look into this...if this is the problem that would take a lot off my mind as I'm doing an essential ground up rebuild. thanks again!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

does it feel like flaring ?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a good look at the air intake for leaks, and maybe give the MAF filaments a good spray with throttle body cleaner.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm not actually worried that the car is doing this right now, I am worried that the problem will be an issue with the mods I have lined up. DOD delete, ported and polished heads, kooks longtubes, and a few more (as money is saved). In conjunction with this post, I am looking for guidance on upgrades. I'm currently looking to get in the 550hp range on motor. (e85, and forced induction may come later.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLike-a-G8 View Post
    So I'm not actually worried that the car is doing this right now, I am worried that the problem will be an issue with the mods I have lined up. DOD delete, ported and polished heads, kooks longtubes, and a few more (as money is saved). In conjunction with this post, I am looking for guidance on upgrades. I'm currently looking to get in the 550hp range on motor. (e85, and forced induction may come later.)
    If you are going boost, pick your cam wisely.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, that sounds a lot like what my old Bonneville does when the MAF screen is removed.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com