Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zl1 1LE at the Nurburgring

Post Thanks / Like
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn!
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's pretty badass. I was kinda suprised at how much all that downforce took away from the top speed.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

That's 14 seconds faster than the GT350R. If that is not impressive enough, the GT350R easily beat the 911-GT3's time!
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy shit, that's impressive!

I wonder what the tires look like cause they were screaming louder than the engine and if they were even street tires.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 06-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: The driver of the ZL-1-1LE that day was not even a professional race car driver, or a race car driver at all. He was just one of GM's engineers that was at the track that day. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...ocid=DELLDHP17

While the time was impressive I took notice of how much he had to saw the wheel back and forth. I took it as a professional driver and that the vaunted 1LE suspension was not that good after all. WAY too much steering input by the driver. Turns out that the suspension is probably the best GM ever put in a production car and equal to or better than most race cars, and that the driver was marginal. Now..just how quick would it do a lap if they had Sabine Schmidtz drive it?

And the engineer later turned an unofficial lap of .....7:13!

No Corvette has ever run faster than either lap. ZL-1 1LE is the King of GM!

ME WANT!
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 06-28-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
    That's 14 seconds faster than the GT350R. If that is not impressive enough, the GT350R easily beat the 911-GT3's time!
    Holy shit is right ..that is really impressive
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Some.of their engineers are former drivers or drive on their spare time. But you'll also note that nurburgring does require a lot of steering input due to how rough the track is, that's ones of the reasons that times are so tough to set there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, the driver was one of the engineers responsible for the ZL1-1LE and has experience driving the car. They've done the same thing with the Corvette. There's a specific engineer on the Corvette team that is usually behind the wheel for any track testing.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be interesting to see what it would time with one of Nurburgring's resident hot shoe drivers behind the wheel. Give them a day or two to run laps and then time them.